how much time/day do younguns spend on social media? a LOT!

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
9 hrs each day for teens and 6 hrs for tweens, and that does not count time spent on devices used for studies or in classroom--9 hrs, just for socializing and entertainment.

http://cnnphilippines.com/l...reen-use-report.html

On any given day, teens in the United States spend about nine hours using media for their enjoyment, according to the report by Common Sense Media, a nonprofit focused on helping children, parents and educators navigate the world of media and technology.

Let's just put nine hours in context for a second. That's more time than teens typically spend sleeping, and more time than they spend with their parents and teachers. And the nine hours does not include time spent using media at school or for their homework.

Tweens, identified as children 8 to 12, spend about six hours, on average, consuming media, the report found.

"I think the sheer volume of media technology that kids are exposed to on a daily basis is mind-boggling," said James Steyer, chief executive officer and founder of Common Sense Media, in an interview.

"It just shows you that these kids live in this massive 24/7 digital media technology world, and it's shaping every aspect of their life. They spend far more time with media technology than any other thing in their life. This is the dominant intermediary in their life."

The report, the first large-scale study to explore tweens and teens' use of the full range of media, according to Common Sense Media, is based on a national sample of more than 2,600 young people ages 8 to 18.

Im not sure I belive those figures at least in my case. My daughter is 15 and she gets ready for an hour before school. When she gets home from school she does homework and then goes to bed around 9. Even if she was on every waking minute it would be only 7 hours with school in there. Maybe on weekends or summertime but not during a school year. Its just the generation we live in now. Typing class on computers is started in 2nd grade now. Cursif is not even taught in most schools anymore.

I read this thread when Gb posted it. Surprised it didn't take off. I think the "average" teen is on social media more than you would think. They got: twitter, instagram, snapchat, facebook----------The list probably goes on and on. Some want to see, and some want to be seen.