How much should she weigh

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
I have a 1 year old Black Angus heifer that was the first calf out of a heifer. What weight would be normal. She was AI'D out of registered Black Angus gar advance. Not the best bull but very low birth weight.

Hard to say. Without knowing how she has been handled it is hard to give an opinion. I've seen some that don't have enough groceries and 550-600 was their yearling weight but when they were fed better grew out and developed. Likewise I have seen those that had a heavier weaning weight that just quit. I purchased some open yearling heifers recently. The 11 month old heifers weighed around 850 and the 12-13 month old heifers weighed 950-990. These were PB Hereford heifers out of registered cows and bulls. No creep but had a great summer last year and had been on wheat since late November. They would of been some lighter if the groceries hadn't been as good. So hard to say without knowing more details. I have another that I raised that is out of a 1st calf heifer and she weighs around 7. Her mother didn't milk the best but she is growing well now. I want my heifers to be at least 23 months when they calve but most will be 24 or more.

elkwc":2y9rhrgf said:
Hard to say. Without knowing how she has been handled it is hard to give an opinion. I've seen some that don't have enough groceries and 550-600 was their yearling weight but when they were fed better grew out and developed. Likewise I have seen those that had a heavier weaning weight that just quit. I purchased some open yearling heifers recently. The 11 month old heifers weighed around 850 and the 12-13 month old heifers weighed 950-990. These were PB Hereford heifers out of registered cows and bulls. No creep but had a great summer last year and had been on wheat since late November. They would of been some lighter if the groceries hadn't been as good. So hard to say without knowing more details. I have another that I raised that is out of a 1st calf heifer and she weighs around 7. Her mother didn't milk the best but she is growing well now. I want my heifers to be at least 23 months when they calve but most will be 24 or more.
Yup. 600 is a pretty decent weaning weight

She is right around 650. Have had her on 13% haygrazer and protien since weaning. Had her with Momma until 8 months. No supplement until I pulled her off the milk.