how much should i feed my show heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

slacker":3idhzqjd said:
i have a limousin heifer. how much feed should i give her a day? she about 600 to 700 lbs.

if she was mine i would feed 3.7 pounds of 12% sweet feed 2xs a day. with lots of hay.. depends what her BCS is..could you ppost a picture???when do you plan on showing? is there a minium weight??

you need to feed a limo heifer more than 7.4lbs i would say at least 10 if not more but hay that just my stand

slacker":2k5hubw6 said:
i have a limousin heifer. how much feed should i give her a day? she about 600 to 700 lbs.

I always go by 3% of their body weight. (sometimes 2% if they are slow eaters) Get an accurate weight on her and go from there. if she is weighing 6-700 lbs she should be getting anywhere from 18-21 lbs a day. :D

Colorado2008":3h3b6fs9 said:
slacker":3h3b6fs9 said:

I always go by 3% of their body weight. (sometimes 2% if they are slow eaters) Get an accurate weight on her and go from there. if she is weighing 6-700 lbs she should be getting anywhere from 18-21 lbs a day. :D

Finally, a smart answer.

cattleluvr18":3m0z5iu9 said:
cowboy, i disagree with you.

yeah get a pic. :D

Why do you disagree? If you want a calf to grow even remotly well you need to be feeding at least 2%. (3 is sometimes pushing it depending on the calf.) :roll:

Colorado2008":3c3v6l82 said:
cattleluvr18":3c3v6l82 said:
cowboy, i disagree with you.

yeah get a pic. :D

Why do you disagree? If you want a calf to grow even remotly well you need to be feeding at least 2%. (3 is sometimes pushing it depending on the calf.) :roll:

Exactly!

We usually feed them free choice hay, and then as much grain as they want up to about 20 lbs a day. Show heifers today need to be pushed a little harder to be competitive.

3% is a pretty standard Steer goal to shoot for but on heifers it is not as universally accepted of a standard. A lot depends on rather it is a commercial Heifer, a Market Heifer, what breed and variables like rather you are going to retain the heifer as a cow in the future or sale her after done showing.

Lots of variables on feeding show calves and especially heifers.

Cowboy 2.0":3lya94jx said:
cattleluvr18":3lya94jx said:
its not the only smart answer.

It was the only right one.

I completely agree. I believe a "no response" is better than misinformation. Colorado, Cowboy & aplusmnt advise from experience, not with a guess.

A Show Calf (heifer, steer, or bull) between 400 & 1000lbs. needs to be pushed hard if you expect it to compete. Even 4% is not out of the question.

i would say i need to go down then because we are feed ing a shorthorn steers 7% of his body weight. but then again the calf is for a feeder compention. we have got him up to 4.9lbs a day

Moocow11":we8irwza said:
i would say i need to go down then because we are feed ing a shorthorn steers 7% of his body weight. but then again the calf is for a feeder compention. we have got him up to 4.9lbs a day

Thats it? That means he only weighs like 66 lbs??? :?:

Moocow11":15umqe4s said:

7%....not unless it's very high moisture and this is an "as fed" number.

Latest posts