How much should I charge?

Help Support CattleToday:

George Monk

Reaction score
A local charlois man asked me to used my cows to be reciepients for some embryo's he has. how much should I charge?
I know this is not very much info but I defer to those with experieince in this area. What are the positives and negatives of providing this service?
thanks

George Monk":2r0knyfy said:
A local charlois man asked me to used my cows to be reciepients for some embryo's he has. how much should I charge?
I know this is not very much info but I defer to those with experieince in this area. What are the positives and negatives of providing this service?
thanks
you asked a very good question.the cows that you let him use wont produce you a calf that year.so what you charge him for recips hastobe fair to you an him.it cost according to the books $400 up keep on the cow.so im thinking charge him $500 to $550 for ea preg recip.

800 dollars per weaned calf if you are willing to keep records on bw, ww, etc.

I think ollie is more in line with what it should be worth. You're claves will sell for $700-800 and you won;t have that calf to sell. So it just seems reasonable that you'ld get the value of your calf plus the something to make it worth while.

dun

George Monk":2yx1j6da said:
thanks

Charlois? I think I would be looking at my cows real close and know they can handle a big calf before I committed to anything. Do have big framed cows, that have calved larger calves?

I would think 700 to 800,....or 500 plus upkeep and feed for the cow, and or cow/calf. If the recip does not take then who is going to clean up the cow?

1848":y3tq5f6o said:
Charlois? I think I would be looking at my cows real close and know they can handle a big calf before I committed to anything. Do have big framed cows, that have calved larger calves?

That would be my first consideration also. What are the genetics of the embryos? And not just because they're charolais. I'ld be concerned with anyone elses breeding plan if I was going to use my cows.

dun

Not knowing what the market price of weaned calves will be when he is to take them, I would figure on $800.00. He should also pay for all expenses getting the cows ready to implant. Payment to be split in 3 payments. 1/3 when cows are emplanted, 1/3 at calving and 1/3 at weaning. If he should back out for any reason you have your money. No one knows what the market will be a year to 1 1/2 yrs. from now. You also don't know what his financial situation will be at that time or if he will even be alive and someone else handling the finances.

Why not just pay $10 a hundred weight more then market value. Plus the breeder should cover all implant fees. That way if prices are lower in the market then no one is getting screwed. Just my opinion.

I think most of my cows can handle a large calf. I had a horned herford that gave us several calves that bottomed out our 100 lb scale. They were long and skinney calves so I appreciate the need to check on calving ease. :idea: Thanks.

800 sounds reasonable as he is getting a registerable animal. I don't think $10 over market price is fair to me. I can forsee having to put in a lot of effort to synchronize and maintian birthweights and such. We normally top out the local sale barn price anyway so I would only net the $10.

Money is not going to be a problem collecting. He is my banker and a good guy to boot. But collecting on thirds is a great idea.

thanks everybody. I will talk with him about birthweights and see what he thinks of the $800.

oakcreekfarms":2j3po0jd said:
Why not just pay $10 a hundred weight more then market value. Plus the breeder should cover all implant fees. That way if prices are lower in the market then no one is getting screwed. Just my opinion.
You are going to collect BW , WW, etc for 10bucks?

Sorry Oakcreek I need to read more carefully. $10/cwt would be $60-70/hd probably a moderate profit. This does add a bit of fairness for both producer and embry supplier guy. Plus his calves should weigh more than my herd average.

What about the cows that don't settle to the embryos. By the time they are preg checked open and then bred they could be at least 60 days late calving. Maybe none of them settle to the embryos, do you get nothing?

The cows that don't settle to the egg should be back in heat 2 weeks after implantation. Usually a bull can be put out with the cows as they leave the chute for clean up. Assuming no other issues you should loose no more than 3 weeks.

Make sure that all your herd health is up to snuff well before you start the process. It's one thing to have a cow not settle to the bull because she's not 100% over a vacine reaction, low level infection, ect, but when it's a high dollar embryo it's a whole nother story.

Also does your potential partner understand the risks that come with doing this work??? There could be some backlash if the project goes 0 for 15 or something like that. It's one thing to have Bud from the coffee shop mad at you, it's another thing to have your banker mad at you.

The going rate around here is $950 for a weaned calf (at 205 days). One third payment at palpation, one third payment at calving, one third payment at weaning. We have been using this approach for several years with good results. The recips have to be good milkers and weaning weights need to be up over 600 lbs for it to be worthwhile.

la4angus":198rx6jr said:
Not knowing what the market price of weaned calves will be when he is to take them, I would figure on $800.00. He should also pay for all expenses getting the cows ready to implant. Payment to be split in 3 payments. 1/3 when cows are emplanted, 1/3 at calving and 1/3 at weaning. If he should back out for any reason you have your money. No one knows what the market will be a year to 1 1/2 yrs. from now. You also don't know what his financial situation will be at that time or if he will even be alive and someone else handling the finances.

This is 200 dollars less for a program I am looking into. Same set up.

It would actually be for $60-70. And yes I think people should be willing to do it for that. They wouldn't have to gather WW from them, just BW. Everything else would be on me.

I have a friend who gets heifers from express, calves them out and sends the heifers back to express. He got 800 dollars starting in about 2000 or 2001. Why would someone use their own cows for less than 800, 5 Years later? I guess you can price your labor any way you like but I think 800 is certainly cheap.

I've got 11 frozen embryos that I would love to have implanted for only $800 per weaned calf. Most programs I've looked into have been at least $200 more.

And I would have to pay for all the prep work and implantation as well, of course.

George

I think LA4 has the best scenario, from what I have heard from people looking for recips. I had a guy ask me this afternoon actually and he said $900 per weaned calf. But I think a payment at implant, birth, and weaning would secure some funds for dealing with it.

What do you do if it doesn't take? Do you get your implant money since your cow is already into the next breeding cycle and may calve late for your operation?

ENNOT":b0r4jwgl said:
What do you do if it doesn't take? Do you get your implant money since your cow is already into the next breeding cycle and may calve late for your operation?
That is the reason for the 1/3 payment. You keep the money.