how much per week

Help Support CattleToday:

For 3 adults, and including the dog food, cat food, grooming items, laundry and cleaning supplies, we average $125 per week. That doesn't include the cost of meat we raised or bought directly from another producer. That would probably raise it to $140-150 per week in the winter. We spend less in the summer when the fresh stuff is in season and cheaper, plus we garden a little and friends/family with gardens give us surplus. Our eggs are basically free because I sell the excess and most weeks it pays for the chicken feed. We get home-raised meat chickens from a friend for $7.50 per bird. We usually get 3 meals off of one.

GMN, comparing what others spend to your own spending doesn't do you much good because everyone's family is different. If you want to cut your grocery bill, set a budget that is $10 or so a week less than what you spend now. Once you can hit that, try to cut some more, and so on. To keep you on budget, only take that set amount of cash to the store with you. Try a meatless meal once a week, usually meat is the most expensive part of the meal. Like bean burritos or tostadas, tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches, a pot of beans with cornbread, etc.

We use some store brand items but for some things, it's just gotta be the "real" brand. The items where the store brand or "off" brand is fine for us would be cereal, pasta, things like that. We only use real butter so I get it at the wholesale club for about $2 per pound. The convenience items are what kill the budget, I think. The more you cook from scratch, the less you will have to spend.

cowboy43":17hlqzne said:
That is my point, everything you stick in your mouth is a grocery idem no matter what is is, if it can be drunk or et is is a grocery. Well maybe not every thing the foot or some other idems don,t count, I mean everything eatable. Aint't no way for $4 aday.
i go to the :arrow: GROCERY STORE :stop: i spend around $30.00 for items ""there"" question answered...... im not gonna itemize are calculate every thing at every stop i make.

MistyMorning":21d9yjco said:
From what I hear when a person has the shingles they aren't too darned hungry anyway. :p

We raise our own beef and fowl and grow a big garden, so I don't even hit those aisles at the grocery store, but I still spend wayyyyyyy too much on Mad Dog and Ripple. Seems like prices there have doubled in the past few years. I like to cook and some say I'm okay at it so we don't eat out very often.

Figured as much...

cfpinz":3qjspuwj said:
MistyMorning":3qjspuwj said:
From what I hear when a person has the shingles they aren't too darned hungry anyway. :p

We raise our own beef and fowl and grow a big garden, so I don't even hit those aisles at the grocery store, but I still spend wayyyyyyy too much on Mad Dog and Ripple. Seems like prices there have doubled in the past few years. I like to cook and some say I'm okay at it so we don't eat out very often.

Figured as much...
last night was a hamburger,,, i grilled last week end.. i grill almost every sunday afternoon and make enough to last me all week

MO_cows":217h2ggf said:
For 3 adults, and including the dog food, cat food, grooming items, laundry and cleaning supplies, we average $125 per week. That doesn't include the cost of meat we raised or bought directly from another producer. That would probably raise it to $140-150 per week in the winter. We spend less in the summer when the fresh stuff is in season and cheaper, plus we garden a little and friends/family with gardens give us surplus. Our eggs are basically free because I sell the excess and most weeks it pays for the chicken feed. We get home-raised meat chickens from a friend for $7.50 per bird. We usually get 3 meals off of one.

GMN, comparing what others spend to your own spending doesn't do you much good because everyone's family is different. If you want to cut your grocery bill, set a budget that is $10 or so a week less than what you spend now. Once you can hit that, try to cut some more, and so on. To keep you on budget, only take that set amount of cash to the store with you. Try a meatless meal once a week, usually meat is the most expensive part of the meal. Like bean burritos or tostadas, tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches, a pot of beans with cornbread, etc.

We use some store brand items but for some things, it's just gotta be the "real" brand. The items where the store brand or "off" brand is fine for us would be cereal, pasta, things like that. We only use real butter so I get it at the wholesale club for about $2 per pound. The convenience items are what kill the budget, I think. The more you cook from scratch, the less you will have to spend.

You are right there are alot of variables in shopping-I tend to buy all my supplies and groceries in one place, so it all adds up.

cfpinz":2hknhxrz said:
MistyMorning":2hknhxrz said:

Figured as much...

Very tricky..... could you ever send that recipe for the peach hooch? Maybe that would cut down on the bills somewhat. :D

MistyMorning":pk6gc31n said:
Very tricky..... could you ever send that recipe for the peach hooch? Maybe that would cut down on the bills somewhat. :D

Just found it:

Ingredients: 2 large Georgia Bell Peaches, 1 gallon of Everclear

Instructions: Peel peaches and place whole peaches in gallon jug of Everclear. Let stand for 1 week. Drink Everclear. If still coherent, eat peaches.

If you eat out that reduces your grocery bill, because you are not eating what you bought at the store, making it streach farther but it is still a grocery expense, because it fills your stomach.

ALACOWMAN":sc70aa63 said:
cowboy43":sc70aa63 said:
That is my point, everything you stick in your mouth is a grocery idem no matter what is is, if it can be drunk or et is is a grocery. Well maybe not every thing the foot or some other idems don,t count, I mean everything eatable. Aint't no way for $4 aday.
i go to the :arrow: >>>>>>>>> GROCERY STORE<<<<<<<<<< :stop: i spend around $30.00 for items ""there"" question answered...... im not gonna itemize are calculate every thing at every stop i make.
.......................................... :arrow: .money spent at the grocery store ONE BUILDING ....$$30.00 :tiphat:

cowboy43":13cx8l0w said:
If you eat out that reduces your grocery bill, because you are not eating what you bought at the store, making it streach farther but it is still a grocery expense, because it fills your stomach.

My baby brother who is single, eats out everyday, he says it saves him money, one meal a day, no dishes, no groceries to buy, no cleaning, no electricity for the oven-I think he is doing it right.

GMN

GMN":3usjymqq said:
cowboy43":3usjymqq said:

My baby brother who is single, eats out everyday, he says it saves him money, one meal a day, no dishes, no groceries to buy, no cleaning, no electricity for the oven-I think he is doing it right.

GMN

Brother only eats one meal/day?
Or he eats one meal out/day?
I couldn't make it on one meal, but if I could it would be the breakfast bar at Frisches.
I'm single but I rarely eat at restaurants. Fast food is only good occasionally, and any good local restaurant is going to want $9.50 or so for lunch (noon) and around $15 bucks for dinner.
I can cook--well I can operate a can opener at least and per meal I can eat better at home. Survival skill.

My weekly bill is about $207.29 when converted into $, English Sterling £130. on average a week sometimes it is more very rearly less. and we eatout twice a week, sometimes three times. It is expensive to live in the UK.

I like to stir the pile and cause a stink so here I go:
Not figuring everything you eat or drink, junk food, candy, chips,soda drinks, ect in your food budget is a type of denial.

Just like the famous politician said ( I did not have sex with that woman ) . does this make my way of thinking clearer?

ALACOWMAN":2l3l2bgu said:
cowboy43":2l3l2bgu said:
i go to the :arrow: GROCERY STORE :stop: i spend around $30.00 for items ""there"" question answered...... im not gonna itemize are calculate every thing at every stop i make.

You don't have to, my friend. Let me introduce myself. My name is Seymour Butts, and I'm the founder of an organization called Groceries Anonymous. We would like to help you with your problem and in the process take a huge step towards saving the world.

For a small donation, I will send one of my minions to shadow you 24 hours a day for 4 weeks. He, or she if you prefer, will keep track of everything that goes into your mouth and ends up being crapped out your other end. After 4 weeks, the cost of these items will be tallied and divided by four. Then, and only then, will we know how much you spend on groceries every week.

Now before you question the importance of such an endeavor, consider this: Wars, famine, floods and maybe even locusts plague our planet. America is under attack by Islamic fundamentalists, the unemployment rate is over 10%, every child born in America starts out $50,000 in debt, the Chiefs are 3-0, Boise State might end up in the BCS Champioship Game, and Lindsay Lohan is headed for prison. Meanwhile, there's a frat party going on at the White House. I'm not sure what that last one means, but it can't possibly have a happy ending. Anyway, the ONLY way we can begin to solve these terrible problems is if the members of this forum know EXACTLY what you spend on groceries each and every week. Yes, it's that important.

Please let us help you.

Sincerely,

SB

Mr Butts
I believe you have a service every American needs, is this part of the stimilus package, to help us all be equal , if their is some organization to regulate our food intake, then it will wipe out all obesitity so we will all be thin and look alike. Also by each person eating the same thing and amount we will know how much beef needs to be produced each year so we can keep the price low, also if everyone eats alike the gov. can calcalate in advance how much gas will be produced each year, to keep polution under control. This will create employment to hire people to count farts , and everyone will live happily ever after. You have got me to thinking I need to run for senator and get these ideas put into motion, My name is Seymour also and I have just finished writing my new novel it is called ( The Open Kimono )
Sincerely
Seymour Hair

Being single I spend around $30-40 a week. Sometimes less. I have a freezer full of deer, elk, beef, and chicken so I don't buy meat. I still raise a garden like when all the kids were at home so I don't buy veggies 4 or 5 months out of the year. I have a daughter in law who raids my garden and returns frozen veggies so that also helps. I don't drink beer anymore so that helps big time. The one meal I eat out every week is at the sale barn. Hamburger, fries, and a pepsi runs $6.00. Other than that I maybe eat out twice a month.

Brother only eats one meal/day?
Or he eats one meal out/day?
I couldn't make it on one meal, but if I could it would be the breakfast bar at Frisches.
I'm single but I rarely eat at restaurants. Fast food is only good occasionally, and any good local restaurant is going to want $9.50 or so for lunch (noon) and around $15 bucks for dinner.
I can cook--well I can operate a can opener at least and per meal I can eat better at home. Survival skill.QUOTE:

He works nights, so he eats at a place where there is a buffet or order from the menu, eating a meal say 1-2 pm, he goes to work, comes home, maybe has a snack or not, so yeah I imagine during the week he probably gets by with one main meal, then maybe a snack or so-if he likes.He is tight with his Money so I am sure he doesn't spend excessively at any restraurant.

GMN

Boy, do you people eat cheaply. It is just my wife and myself and we spend a good $125.00 a week on our " grocery bill ". We raise our own beef, but buy everything else except fresh tomatoes and onions. We eat out on the weekends, that way the kids and grandkids eat for free. I know they are educated and have advanced degrees buuut my wife says as long as she is alive we are paying. Oh well it is just money.

the last time i said i was going to pay for a meal out there were 6 of us an it cost me $90.thankfully all the neices an nehews wasnt here for a visit lolol.

Latest posts