How much of this cow's horns can be trimmed bewi

Help Support CattleToday:

Use some rubber bands same kind to use to band bull calves .
Put them on where you want them wrap with a couple layers of duct tape to hold them in place and keep them from getting scrubbed off.

I agree with the bell, and maybe tipping them back a bit and putting a rubber horn cap or something like they used to use on oxen that had horns. And I would not stop breeding her... use a POLLED bull so the calves do not have horns and let her pay for herself in her retirement. If she doesn't breed back then so be it. I have had a couple over the years that got to live out their life here.... most go but a few get to retire too.... buried my first beef cow with very bad teeth when she got down.... had a 5 + mo old calf on her.... buried my 15 yr old guernsey, and another old beef cow that had done her part..... if she gets a chance to get a rest and then in better flesh, and you are feeding her a little bit to compensate for the bad teeth, then she could raise you a few more decent calves....

In addition to the bell...

They make clamp on balls for the horn tips.
You'll have to do your own research as I've never done it. But could be a viable option. Possibly a life saving one.

Gotta be careful asking one what they think. Most will say sell her.
I have ONE cow that dies at home. The others I won't take the loss on.

I agree sucks seeing any animal live out their live just like any elderly... what you do take all elderly to sell too. 😬 I had my brother's old dog I got the pleasure of becoming his retirement home. It was great for us and the dog until his last day. I wouldn't has done it any different. Everything animal needs love in their last days, it's us humans that don't want deal with that burden.

Just out of curiosity, I did a google search and found silicone horn tips on about 10 places, including ebay and amazon... you ought to be able to find something.... and for about $20 if they don't work they shouldn't break the bank.

Just out of curiosity, I did a google search and found silicone horn tips on about 10 places, including ebay and amazon... you ought to be able to find something.... and for about $20 if they don't work they shouldn't break the bank.
Something festive would be my choice. Something like a screaming bloody elf with a fake horn tip poking out the other side.

Dehorning is not an option. I appreciate hearing your experience with trimming. You had a vet do it and there were complications. I like the bell idea. And I saw your avatar.
Go back and read what he wrote. They took some of the horn off and had to come back latter and take some more off as the horn continue to grow. For your safety, take 7 to 8 inches off the ends of those horns. Don't worry about a little blood. You can use a hot branding iron to cauterize the vein or I saw a vet put toothpicks in the veins of a bull I had tipped.

Go back and read what he wrote. They took some of the horn off and had to come back latter and take some more off as the horn continue to grow. For your safety, take 7 to 8 inches off the ends of those horns. Don't worry about a little blood. You can use a hot branding iron to cauterize the vein or I saw a vet put toothpicks in the veins of a bull I had tipped.
A golf ball tee works for the bigger holes

I know you didn't ask.....
But I'd put a borrowed calving ease bull with those 2 gals!
They will love you even more for it
The drought and over grazing cannot support all of the cattle in the area. We lost one of our cherished ranchers in an accident in May. His wife is selling most of the herd. Another rancher is in her 80's and is selling off her herd. So, this isn't the year for growing the herd. The older cows will end up at the slaughtered. I want to save these two cows.

Use some rubber bands same kind to use to band bull calves .
Put them on where you want them wrap with a couple layers of duct tape to hold them in place and keep them from getting scrubbed off.
I will look into your idea. Thank you.

Yes. I am considering them. I agree with you they are worth a shot. We could cut off the very tip and install the silicone tips. I wish I could find brass horn tips for sale. She is a beautiful cow and they would look great. Unlucky so far.

A golf ball tee works for the bigger holes
The bleeding from the corium can cause troubles. The corium leads directly into the skull's sinus'. And she is worn out from the drought and lack of grass.

Last edited:
I agree sucks seeing any animal live out their live just like any elderly... what you do take all elderly to sell too. 😬 I had my brother's old dog I got the pleasure of becoming his retirement home. It was great for us and the dog until his last day. I wouldn't has done it any different. Everything animal needs love in their last days, it's us humans that don't want deal with that burden.
Thank you. It is going to be a challenge for me. These cows are grazing cows so not tame. I need to be aware every minute.

It's been probably 25 years or more since that happened, but yes when I bought the cow as a heifer she had had a botched dehorn job done and they continued to grow down and into the side of her head. We nubbed them back a a bit with no issues but they grew back to the same situation in a few years. Then we had them taken off closer to the base. The saw wire actually cauterized it. Within a few weeks or so, don't remember exactly. She was holding her head to to the ground and shaking it. Vet said that it had affected her sinuses. Don't remember what all he did, but must have opened it back up cause there was a lot more blood. Didn't have any more problems after that. Like I said it is a personal preference that we have to not dehorn any older animals anymore. I still will dehorn young calves, although my wife said the last time we did would be the last.

It's been probably 25 years or more since that happened, but yes when I bought the cow as a heifer she had had a botched dehorn job done and they continued to grow down and into the side of her head. We nubbed them back a a bit with no issues but they grew back to the same situation in a few years. Then we had them taken off closer to the base. The saw wire actually cauterized it. Within a few weeks or so, don't remember exactly. She was holding her head to to the ground and shaking it. Vet said that it had affected her sinuses. Don't remember what all he did, but must have opened it back up cause there was a lot more blood. Didn't have any more problems after that. Like I said it is a personal preference that we have to not dehorn any older animals anymore. I still will dehorn young calves, although my wife said the last time we did would be the last.
Yes. Dehorning is brutal. I am a retired nurse. I believe in least invasive procedure and pain meds one hour before required tasks that intrude past the skin barrier. These cows may be considered domestic, but the ones here are not socialized with humans. I don't want to stress her or have her go through unnecessary pain or complications.

Latest posts