How much of this cow's horns can be trimmed bewi

Help Support CattleToday:

LPuma

Reaction score
Trimming tip of older Hereford's horns. How much can be trimmed without hitting corium?

Attachments

• Ann Richards.jpeg
    Ann Richards.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 37
Trimming tip of older Hereford's horns. How much can be trimmed without hitting corium?
What's the end goal?

Most rodeo associations want them trimmed back to the size of a silver dollar. You draw blood at that stage

We salvage a few roping steers by tipping. Most of the time, you can feel warmth in the horn.

What's the end goal?

Most rodeo associations want them trimmed back to the size of a silver dollar. You draw blood at that stage

We salvage a few roping steers by tipping. Most of the time, you can feel warmth in the horn.
Retirement. To allow her to live out the rest of her life with another older cow. Looking at anatomy illustrations looks like the corium goes further up. When you look at this particular cow, what do you advise to avoid any corium contact?

God gave her horns let her be horny. 🤷🏽‍♀️
I couldn't agree more. I will have her fenced in about 5 acres. She gets a bit aggressive and she can sneak up on me. I don't want to trim her horns but though removing about 7 inches result in less chance of having a kidney jab. I do not want the corium touched. I have not decided. Gathering information. What do you think?

Last edited:
She will do anything with the tipped horns she is doing now.

She has a good shot of Longhorn in her makeup.
I sure agree with you on the Longhorn DNA. She doesn't mean to, but those horns have quite a reach. I thought taking 7 inches off could prevent some accidents involving me. What do you think? Are there alternatives to trimming, like rubber tips or something along those lines? Cows are sure quiet and sneak up on me.

If it's an older cow I wouldn't mess with the horns, unless she is causing trouble with them. If she is causing problems, I'd just send her down the road to the market.
How come you wouldn't trim the horns on an older cow? Can there be complications? I am saving her from the market. I like and respect her and will let her live out the rest of her life in peace. I will be taking her and one other cow in.

What's the end goal?

Thank you.

What's she retiring from?
I'd let her live out her life at grandpa's sale barn and use the check on a feeder heifer or a bred cow.... circle of life thing don't ja know.
She has been a calf making machine for 10 years.

Maybe put a bell around her neck so she can't sneak up on you; I think if it was me, I would let them be as they are. There was an old cowboy that dad used to ride with in his younger days that said when they were loading longhorns on the train cars they would chop them off with an ax. At that point I don't think they were to concerned as to where they chopped. I can imagine there was blood everywhere.

How come you wouldn't trim the horns on an older cow? Can there be complications? I am saving her from the market. I like and respect her and will let her live out the rest of her life in peace. I will be taking her and one other cow in.
Just a personal preference, I'm not much on dehorning an older animal. Years ago, we had a Charolais cow with horns, that had grown down into her head. Didn't have a choice but to cut them off some. They used saw wire, and some time later, had to get a vet back with her. He cut more off and said pressure had built up and was causing her distress.
We currently have a couple cows with horns, and so far they have not given us any problems.
The cow there in my avatar picture is one of them.

Just a personal preference, I'm not much on dehorning an older animal. Years ago, we had a Charolais cow with horns, that had grown down into her head. Didn't have a choice but to cut them off some. They used saw wire, and some time later, had to get a vet back with her. He cut more off and said pressure had built up and was causing her distress.
We currently have a couple cows with horns, and so far they have not given us any problems.
The cow there in my avatar picture is one of them.
Dehorning is not an option. I appreciate hearing your experience with trimming. You had a vet do it and there were complications. I like the bell idea. And I saw your avatar.

Still young yet
Yes. I am told her teeth are bad. Older rancher selling off the herd. Grazing and water have been very bad here in NE AZ past 5 years. Drought was the worst this summer. Last year cattle that passed on my land were so thin, had mange. Terrible. Herd being sold off. Wanting to save two.

Last edited:
Okay. Decision made. Will leave her be. Heartfelt gratitude to all contributors.
In addition to the bell...

They make clamp on balls for the horn tips.
You'll have to do your own research as I've never done it. But could be a viable option. Possibly a life saving one.

Gotta be careful asking one what they think. Most will say sell her.
I have ONE cow that dies at home. The others I won't take the loss on.

In addition to the bell...

They make clamp on balls for the horn tips.
You'll have to do your own research as I've never done it. But could be a viable option. Possibly a life saving one.

Gotta be careful asking one what they think. Most will say sell her.
I have ONE cow that dies at home. The others I won't take the loss on.
I will investigate the clamp on safety balls for the horn tips. Thank you.

Latest posts