How much N? and when?

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
How much N do you put down for 2nd cut? Thinking 100 pounds of urea if i can catch rain. Pretty sure that's what i've heard of other folks putting out.

Mixed grass/red clover fields.

Also, do i need to wait for the grass to be fully recovered before i throw N down? Coming back nicely. Unsure of the biological processes pertaining to nutrient uptake during recovery.

Fields were cut last monday and tuesday. Baled thursday and friday.

Thanks everyone.

Kenny Thomas, did you all get to make any last week?

ClinchValley":3g5d8hq6 said:
How much N do you put down for 2nd cut? Thinking 100 pounds of urea if i can catch rain. Pretty sure that's what i've heard of other folks putting out.

Also, do i need to wait for the grass to be fully recovered before i throw N down? Coming back nicely. Unsure of the biological processes pertaining to nutrient uptake during recovery.

Thanks everyone.

Got 33 acres rolled and in the barn, I like for it to rain 1 time after I cut before I add more N. Remember to use either coated Urea or spread it just before a good chance of rain or you will loose a lot of the Urea N.

None
No
You will get a poor er response to N with high temps and with clover in the mix.
40# N and 25# S max per acre IF you have the moisture and need the feed

A ton of hay removes 30 to 50 pounds of N depending on the protein level. So it would depend on your yield and how much you think you are getting from the legumes.

Didn't put much N down for first cut. Rolled the dice to see what the clover did for us. Might have put down 25-30 lbs of actual N. to the acre. We are going to test our soil this fall for the first time.

That said, we need all the hay we can round up. I'm wanting to see what N does between cuts. Cut the grass around 4-5" this time, sure is coming back quickly.

Kenny Thomas - Luckily, we've got rain twice since last Monday. Probably 0.5-1.5 inches. What do you put down for 2nd cut? Do you treat it like you're going into stockpile season? Got y'alls fencing get-together flyer in the mail yesterday. I think i will be able to come.

Stocker Steve - Yeah, i've been debating it with myself. But i'd like to think it cannot hurt. Does it adversely affect the clover? Or just make the grass too competitive?

First year having clover in our hay fields. Really liking it so far.

I won't put down anything for second cutting, I will have more than I need anyway. And where the hay is I can't graze so no need to stockpile.
So far in 2 weeks we have had only .1rain.

Is N more beneficial before the first cut or after? I've been fertilizing after the first cut - been told that the spring growth doesn't need fertilizing?

NonTypicalCPA":36t2ikl3 said:
Is N more beneficial before the first cut or after? I've been fertilizing after the first cut - been told that the spring growth doesn't need fertilizing?

Need moisture and cool temps for N to work well on a cool season grass.
So summer is the least efficient time to apply N to a cool season grass.
Corn is different - - it is a warm season grass.

There is some older UW River Falls #DM/#N data out there for different grasses and different application dates.
A common reason for variation in #/# is the plant is moisture limited.

ClinchValley":2zhulf8u said:

Thanks everyone.

No one can truly answer that question with anything other than rhetoric without a soil sample or three - it costs little and gives you a better idea of what is truly needed. Try sending a few off - it might save you money and it might also create a better crop down the road.

Contact your local seed and fertilizer outfit - they can advise as they are in your region.

Cheers

i think you get more for your money putting N down in spring because we dont get the rain for it to do much after that, plus the ground will only absorb X amount of nitrogen and the rest will just go back into the air. look at your cation exchange capacity on the soil test for example if its 8 then the ground will only take up 80 pounds of N anything more will be a complete waste

Stocker Steve":3nkz1deh said:
NonTypicalCPA":3nkz1deh said:

Need moisture and cool temps for N to work well on a cool season grass.
So summer is the least efficient time to apply N to a cool season grass.
Corn is different - - it is a warm season grass.

There is some older UW River Falls #DM/#N data out there for different grasses and different application dates.
A common reason for variation in #/# is the plant is moisture limited.

Here in Michigan we typically still get adequate rainfall in the month of June. Our first cutting usually happens around memorial day weekend. Maybe I will try an early spring application next year and see how it compares.

The mineralization process is very seasonal and you should take that into account with fertilizer timing.

A way to extend your (grazing) season is to apply N (30 to 40#/a) early in the spring and/or late in the fall. The ground is too cold for the biology to work well, but grasses can uptake usable (not urea) supplemental N fertilizer, and this can "buy" you up to 2 weeks per season. I apply some in special cases (like the first two paddocks to be grazed) when the grass is not actively growing yet but the hardwoods are budding.

Latest posts