How much milk replacer

Help Support CattleToday:

Kerry

Reaction score
I just bought a calf, she is a month old. How much milk replacer should I mix in with the water - a couple tablespoons per one cup of water? I looked on the bag but I do not see any instructions for measurements. Also, I have read that you can also mix in yogurt with the milk replacer. Is this also a good idea? As always, thank you very much for all your help.

What brand of replacer is it? I've never seen any without feeding/mixing directions. I'm not sure about the exact amount but it seems like the usual cup that comes with the various replacers are about 1 cup per 4 pints. And you feed that amount twice a day. Insure that it starts eating a high quality calf starter grain ASAP and keep fresh water in front of it all the time.

dun

Every milk replacer is a little different. Usually comes with a cup for measuring. If not, call the place where you got it & make them find out what you need.
Yogurt is always good to give to any animal that is stressed or on antibiotics (even people).

It is Purina milk replacer. I bought it off the farmer, it is a full bag, he used a little of it on another calf. There was no measuring cup and I looked on the bag for the correct amount but did not see anything. I will look again tonight. Thanks again for all your help.

For what it's worth, I think it usually works out to about three cups of powder to two litres of water.

Mind you, it's been a couple months since I've had to mix up any for a bottle. Milkmaid would probably know the correct amount. Could also call the Purina company and ask them for the proper instructions.

Take care.

never used purina, but their stuff is usually good so i would guess 1- 1/2 cups per 2 quarts. a 100 lb calf will need 2 quarts twice a day. less if he is smaller. how did that farmer mix it?

The calf was on her mom's milk up to yesterday afternoon. Mom was going to the butcher today, that is why I brought her home so early. I thought the bag would have feed instructions on it and may be I missed them completely but I did not see any measure instructions when I looked last night. When I get home tonight, I will look again.

The type I buy is 8oz (1/2lb) to 4 pints (2 quarts) of water - but there's a little common sense involved if you're mixing it in a bucket and then pouring the milk back into a bottle. 8oz of milk replacer + 4 pints of water just doesn't fit in a bottle, and you'll have some left over. In other words, she'll get shorted on liquid until you get her to drink from a bucket; at that point you can also give her extra water (2 1/2 - 3 quarts) in with the powder. 2 quarts just doesn't fill them up.

Good luck on getting her to drink from a bottle - generally calves on a cow don't take to the bottle very easily. She may have to miss a feeding before she'll decide to drink.

I was told by my Vet. to mix yougert and beer to give a sick calf. it's suppost to peek their appitite(sp) and get them back on feed.
adds good bugs for the gut

:cboy:

In the past I have not had much luck with the bottle, I have poured the milk replacer in a bucket and my two cows learned to drink out of that, within a day. I am hoping I have the same luck with this calf. She has a bucket of water and calf grower also.

We use Purina, they changed last fall to a 10 oz. cup for 2 quarts, it was 8 oz. Hope this helps.

I was told by my Vet. to mix yougert and beer to give a sick calf. it's suppost to peek their appitite(sp) and get them back on feed.
adds good bugs for the gut

:cboy:
I know this post was ages ago but....incase someone reads this; how do you prepare the beer and or yogurt to feed them? Warm ? In milk? Just curious. I have a new calf and might need to know. Thank you.

I add yogurt to the milk replacer... 1 - 2 cups of yogurt in a 2 qt bottle... make sure it is live culture... the mixture needs to be drinkable. In fact there are a couple of local creameries around here that have a "drinkable yogurt" ... we used to call it "kefir" back in the "hippy days of the 70's-80's"... that can be fed in place of 1/4 to 1/2 the bottle if the calf gets scoury... think consistency of a smoothie...... never mixed beer for them so I am no help there.
I mix my milk replacer in a small gal bucket to just make it easier to mix.... any extra can be refridgerated for the next feeding. And I am old school and like to feed the milk warm.... I know there are some studies that it is fed room temp or cold...

Latest posts