How much milk replacer?

Help Support CattleToday:

1 calf gets 8 oz. replacer 2x a day = 1 lb. so it would take 50 days for one calf to drink one bag of replacer.

Not very long. I just got finished weaning the calve that mom did not produce milk. I would say this. Follow the directions and do not over do the replacer. If anything go with more water. And teach them to drink out of a bucket. Much easier!

Seems I go through it in a little under 7 weeks. Not sure how that happens as I thought I tended towards shorting them on milk replacer anyways.

We go through about a bag and a quarter per calf. We feed
1/3 more than the bag recommends-- we aim for a 35 day wean and our gains are excellent. Years ago a vet told us that feeding the bag recommendation was a way to keep the calf alive until it could eat grain-- and this made sense since the bag says nothing about feeding a 80# calf vs a 120#calf. We have fewer health issues-- after all these years the accelerated programs recognize the connection between better nutrition and overall health. We feed a little short of the bag recommendation for the first three days and then ramp up overer about three more.

J and L - no "real" milk? and why? I know some dairies feed milk replacer and some feed the real thing - why'd you opt to go with the replacer?

We don't have pasturizing equipment. Over the years we have found some johnes cows in the herd as well as a few staph aureus-- which grows on the skin as well as in the udder-- and don't want to chance heifer calves having contact with those. With the exception of fresh cows, held cows are usually sick in some way (mastitis, pneumonia, etc) and it has never made sense to me to put the babies at risk. We don't have a place for pasturizing equipment at this location but will probably add it awith a special needs parlor at the new site in a couple of years.

I'm am thinking about raising some bull calves in groups at the new site starting this fall. I am not as concerned about unpasturized milk for them and wouldn't need to transport it the 3/4 mile to the heifer calf barn to make use of it.
Linda

way to go on keeping johnes under control. Do you use a dry colostrum also? What about bull calves they will be dead before johnes will effect them.

Latest posts