How much land per head?

Help Support CattleToday:

Diesel

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting 2 or 3 mini Herefords for show/hobby and was curious as to how much land is required to support them. We live in Maryland, medium climate. I have a mix of hay and grass down now. I also have a 25'x20' barn, with stalls and running water. I also have a 6 ft fence up around the property and 10 foot tube steel gates. We had sheep and goats but want to move on to bigger and better. The fenced area is about 1 acre. Is this large enough for a mini bull and a heifer or 2? Thnx for any input or advice.

Well I have a little over 2 acres to use if I have to. Is there a differnce in acreage needed versus full size Herefords and the mini's? Like I said I only want 2 or 3, my wife saw the mini's and said she wanted them but it makes no real differnce to me.

The normal acreage per head is five, depending on the quality of grass or amount of feed you give. Normally 5 arces per head will allow free graze for the cattle during the spring and summer months saving greatly on feed bills. If you choose to feed the cattle year round like a feed lot then you are fine. The more acres per head the less feed you purchase and more money you save.

seanlong":2v7iqmi0 said:
The normal acreage per head is five, depending on the quality of grass or amount of feed you give. Normally 5 arces per head will allow free graze for the cattle during the spring and summer months saving greatly on feed bills. If you choose to feed the cattle year round like a feed lot then you are fine. The more acres per head the less feed you purchase and more money you save.

That may work in your area, but the stocking rate various too much by geographical area to have a one size fits all situation.
Better to check with your local extension office, they're the folks that know your area best

dun

I would go ahead and fence the whole 3 acres and plant the whole place in improved pasture if it is not already in lush grass. You will still have to feed hay in winter in Maryland. Mini-Herefords don't require as much space as a regular Hereford does so I think 2 mini Hereford PROBABLY could make do on ONE acre and if you fed them year round like pets they would do fine. I like having THREE acres, one to each mini Hereford and mini calf. I have never raised mini Herefords; but I remember a lot of commercial 650 pound Hereford cows 25 years ago and they were very fertile, easy keepers.

You should be able to run 2 or 3 mini herefords on the same amount of acreage as 1 standard size hereford. When referring to a standard size hereford, I'm referring to a frame score in 4 to 6 range. When referring to a mini hereford I'm referring to 0 to 0000.

1 acre? Depends on the acre, how good the grass is? Is it irrigated, etc...?? As long as you don't mind feeding some hay it could work.

dun":nimifaq7 said:
That may work in your area, but the stocking rate various too much by geographical area to have a one size fits all situation.
Better to check with your local extension office, they're the folks that know your area best

dun

Yep, our extension office suggests 1.5 acres per cow in his area down here. Of course even that depends on the forage and how you manage it.

If you plant bermuda grass in there. You may be able to get 6-10 cows per acre. I have seen it happen that people had up to ten. Me personally I have 6 cows per acre on the stuff.

you could run 3 or 4 on what you have.the amount of feed an hay you will use depends on the grass you have.scott