HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH FOR HAY ?

Help Support CattleToday:

WHAT PRICE WOULD BE YOUR LIMIT BEFORE SELLING THE CATTLE?

• 5.00 A BALE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7.50 A BALE

• 10.00 A BALE

• 12.50 A BALKE

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
KenB":mkbhzhib said:
HEREFORD ROADHOG":mkbhzhib said:
KenB":mkbhzhib said:
You will have to put that in 4X5 round bales for cattle hay.

i'm talking about 50-70 lb small bales.( like the real cattlemen still use ;-) quote]

:shock: :roll: :lol: :cboy: ;-)
Corn Gluten (Dry) is $130 a ton delivered. It tests out 23-25% Protein. They guarantee it to have 16% but it always tests in the 23-25% for us. You have to feed a good mineral supplement with it. All you need now is some roughage IE: hay,silage, corn stalks,etc. You can reduce you hay usage back 25-40%.

i locked in a price of $6 a bale.an this hay is heavy fertalized with chicken litter.unless ive got the fields wrong.im just going to feed the hay to calves in the corral when i wean them.

ironpeddler":1xg20mse said:
KenB":1xg20mse said:
HEREFORD ROADHOG":1xg20mse said:
KenB":1xg20mse said:

i'm talking about 50-70 lb small bales.( like the real cattlemen still use ;-) quote]

:shock: :roll: :lol: :cboy: ;-)
Corn Gluten (Dry) is $130 a ton delivered. It tests out 23-25% Protein. They guarantee it to have 16% but it always tests in the 23-25% for us. You have to feed a good mineral supplement with it. All you need now is some roughage IE: hay,silage, corn stalks,etc. You can reduce you hay usage back 25-40%.

Where can you get glutern delivered from for this price? If you have the contact information I would be very intrested. The only place that I know that has gluten in this area is Bulls Gap. Thanks

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1kwdr27x said:
msscamp":1kwdr27x said:
KenB":1kwdr27x said:

Why? :?
Square bales are going to the wayside these days around here.

Ok, but if one bought a load of small squares - as the original poster apparently did, why would they need to be "put in 4X5 round bales for cattle hay"? I don't see where square bales going by the wayside in your part of the country has anything to do with being able to feed small squares. :???: :???:

msscamp":36rcy9jc said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":36rcy9jc said:
msscamp":36rcy9jc said:
KenB":36rcy9jc said:

Ok, but if one bought a load of small squares - as the original poster apparently did, why would they need to be "put in 4X5 round bales for cattle hay"? I don't see where square bales going by the wayside in your part of the country has anything to do with being able to feed small squares. :???: :???:
I think the debate might have been ( sarcastic ) if " real " cattlemen use round or square bales. :lol:

I will not pay more than $200 a ton for hay. I'm feeding glutin, cotton seeds, and wheat mids with my hay. So it goes alot further. Glutin is running $26 ton delivered around here. I hauled it myself for $19/ton.

msscamp":71rommtz said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":71rommtz said:
msscamp":71rommtz said:
KenB":71rommtz said:

msscamp,
:roll: If you would read the original post you will see that it was a poll of the price of small square bales, there was no mention of the original poster buying a load.
:x My comment "You will have to put that in 4X5 round bales for cattle hay." was in reference to the poll.
:eek: I don't see where that could be construed to being unable to feed small squares.
;-) I'll bet there are very few people buying small square bales of hay to feed there cattle.

I know a few people who buy small squares to feed cattle so they can better regulate their feed intake and can monitor how much they are taking in. We use large rounds for cattle and ss for horses around here. The original question is how much is too much for ss grass hay. I won't pay over $5 for ss and this year we paid $120/ton for large rounds. Large rounds are up almost double from last year and I don't know why. We have a lot of hay around here. We baled ss off the field for $2/bale at a couple of places this summer and a guy was advertising 3rd cutting alfalfa not rained on for $3/bale which is really cheap. It will be double or triple that in February.

ironpeddler":2o4pj5q2 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch,

50 million head of cattle are in herds of 50 head or less. USDA Stats. So what is your definition of a real cattleman?

I have heard this also. Most people don't realize most herds are only 20-50 head.

ironpeddler":p3esdmir said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch,

50 million head of cattle are in herds of 50 head or less. USDA Stats. So what is your definition of a real cattleman?

those are the ones i mean . the ones you still see on the wagon behind the baler stacking them 6 high. in the 90 degree heat , not afraid of some work & the :heart: of their cattle :cboy:

Folks up here are sitting on barns full of alfalfa just waiting for the prices to go through the roof.
I expect to see $250/tom before Christmas. My usual hay guy delivered his last bale wagon load to our barn and was not going to sell until late fall. We were lucky to get a barn full of feeder hay and had enough alflafa to keep up the feed quality for the winter though we did put out a liquid suppliment and culled some heifers and older cows so we should make it until the spring pasture comes back.
Some folks are buying Montana hay and paying the freight. Can't truck a wide load of hay in Washington, some new safety law...so round bales are not imported, not cost effective.
Bad thing is that alot of Northwest hay is being super compressed and shipped overseas. DMC

I don't care what type of bale it is in, hay should be bought by the ton not by the bale. If we are talking 50 to 70 pound small squares there is a big difference there. The 50 pounders will be 40 bales to the ton, whereas the 70 pounders there is 28.5 bales to the ton.

Latest posts