How much is too much for a bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
What in your opinion is the maximum amount a person should spend on a bull for a commercial herd? Trying to be as profitable as possible. Would like to be able to keep some heifers out of a bull but retain some decent growth. Sorry for such a general question but wanted to know what others consider a reasonable amount for a small herd. Thanks.

I don't know how people gauge it in other areas. But here, a farmer wants to pay in the area of $1000 for a bull. If he is just raising a few cattle to sell on the side, that is usually his range. If someone wants more, they feel they can go somewhere and find a bull for $1000, usually just out of a commercial herd. But then there are those that have decided to up the genetics so the calves will finish off heavier, and the heifers they save will pass the traits on, they usually go up around $3000. And you can spend more, just what ever your pocket book says and your conscience will let go of. Then those that get serious, go up to around $10,000 and up.
I personally would want to spend in the $3000 range. Give or take some. It is a chunk of change, but, your calves will bring your money back to you and the heifers you keep will continue to pass on the genetics to the next group. I am not into showing cattle, but do want cattle with good confirmation and good genetics.

Well put chuckie, If you get a good bull he will bring it back to you in time. The more cows you have then the quicker your returns will be. If your new bull has a higher weaning weight of about 50 then that would be 50 more pounds a head. With 40 cows that would make 2000 more lbs. and at $1 a pound that would be two thousand more dollars right there. Secondly if this high power bull has good milk epd"s then thats another bonous on your replacements , he's added size and milk to your new heifers. The bull is the best place to start on improving your herd. Spend all the money you can afford on your bull. I did and my stomach killed me for a long time for spending that kind of money, but I am now reaping the rewards with 600lb ww and some of the best heifers around. BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT.

Get the best you can afford. The cow only represents her share in the herd, But the bull represent 50% of the herd with his offspring. This ain't the place to cut corners.

I recently heard an order buyer say bull power was not the place to economize. Run a little plainer cow and buy a lot better bull. I have always used the rule of thumb a bull is worth what 3 top bred cows would bring or your 5 best steer calves. At todays prices that would be between $2500 and $3500.

alot depends on the breed of bull your looking for.ive priced polled herefords from $950 for weaned bulls to $1500 for 18 month old bulls.reg beefmaster bulls from $2000 to $4000.but id say from $2000 to $3000 on top bulls.scott

My approach to making a profit in the cattle business has always been to start by controlling costs. When buying a bull, I believe that you should start by defining the characteristics you are looking for in the bull and then shop for the cheapest bull you can find that fully satisfies your requirements. I don't start with a predetermined price in mind. If I have a choice of several bulls that all seem to fit my needs, I will usually buy the less expensive one. I see no reason to buy a higher priced bull if a lower price one will meet my goals. In my simplistic way of thinking, buying the "most expensive bull you can afford" makes no more sense than buying the "most expensive car" you can afford. In both cases, a more economical model will get the job done and you may even wind up with a little money left over.

Latest posts