how much is this pig worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

Inbred, your a smart enough guy but sometimes I think you and herfordroadass have a problem with small producers or hobbiests just because they/we are removing an opportunity for you guys to sell to us. the idea and movement is growing in popularity so I'm sure it has had an affect.
Correct me if I'm wrong

hooknline":zwvpbh6s said:
Inbred, your a smart enough guy but sometimes I think you and herfordroadass have a problem with small producers or hobbiests just because they/we are removing an opportunity for you guys to sell to us. the idea and movement is growing in popularity so I'm sure it has had an affect.
Correct me if I'm wrong
You are correct it has had an effect, the biggest effect I have noticed as a result of the hobby/small producers is the mongrelization of the US beef herd. Thats no bullshit either. Everybody wants to cross everything to everything.

As far as hobby/small producers taking away customers, not so much, what bothers me is when the small/hobby guy charges an exorbitant amount of money to unknowing customers, then customer perceives all cattle men actually are charging those prices. We are not. I do not want to. I will sell for the same price to any family in America that I will to IBP.
So tell me would you sell to the American family for the same as you would sell to IBP? Or would you need more from the family?

Doesn't matter who I sell to. Prices stay the same. At the same time I, as well as many others, aren't in it for fun. And we aren't working off a volume basis. Volume either in buying feed, stock etc, or volume in selling.
Now, this conversation is about pigs, not beef. I don't sell pigs. I only raise a few for my family. So if I pay an extra quarter a lb and have a finished packaged final cost of 3 bucks a lb, I don't really care.
I see where you're coming from inbred, but roadass is just that.

hooknline":2ksufgbo said:
Doesn't matter who I sell to. Prices stay the same. At the same time I, as well as many others, aren't in it for fun. And we aren't working off a volume basis. Volume either in buying feed, stock etc, or volume in selling.
Now, this conversation is about pigs, not beef. I don't sell pigs. I only raise a few for my family. So if I pay an extra quarter a lb and have a finished packaged final cost of 3 bucks a lb, I don't really care.
I see where you're coming from inbred, but roadass is just that.
Correct I may have jumped the track going from hogs to cattle, but you asked about small/hobby guys, and they are playing in both ball fields. I am willing to sell to both the American family and IBP for the same coin, hobby guys are not.

chippie":2cyo5nri said:
Some people prefer to raise their own or purchase from an individual that they know.
free range pork has become popular among the hipsters here. They will pay a premium for it.
yep I have heard caustic and backhoe talk about those free range hogs