How much is my cow worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

asher

Reaction score
For the first time I have raised a Jersey steer and heifer, they are 15 months old and they are healthy and the steer is big and fat but the heifer is a little small. I'd like to know how much each of them are worth?

For the first time I have raised a Jersey steer and heifer, they are 15 months old and they are healthy and the steer is big and fat but the heifer is a little small. I'd like to know how much each of them are worth?
What ever someone is willing to bid at the salebarn!
You will find the true worth right there.

Depends on how you market them and where you are. The heifer may be worth more than the steer. The salebarn in this area is not kind to Jersey cattle.

I sold a Jersey heifer, open and registered for $1,000 last year. I was happy and the buyer was happy.

Hello asher, welcome to the cattle forum.
Where are you located?
Cattle value by breed will vary from one region of the country to another.
How did you acquire your 2 Jerseys?

Steers are priced by the pound.
In Minnesota a nice fat 1,000 lb Jersey steer is worth between 90 cents to $1 a pound. 1,350 lb beef steers 1.25 lb

Last edited:
Hello asher, welcome to the cattle forum.
Where are you located?
Cattle value by breed will vary from one region of the country to another.
How did you acquire your 2 Jerseys?

Steers are priced by the pound.
In Minnesota a nice fat 1,000 lb Jersey steer is worth between 90 cents to $1 a pound. 1,350 lb beef steers 1.25 lb
Here the same steer is worth .70 tops.

I am further east of KT and the prices would be about the same. My suggestion is to try to find someone who wants the steer for a beef as you will do better with the price that way. The heifer might be worth a bit more... maybe up to 1.00 lb but again, IF she is not a twin, so would be intact inside to breed, then your best bet would be to find someone looking for a home milk cow. I think FB or Craigslist would be your best place to advertise. Other than for a home raised beef, jerseys are not worth much. I have several jersey's I use as nurse cows, and any jersey bull calves that are born, I make into steers and raise to put in my own freezer.

I sold a 750 lb Jersey /beef cross last year just north of Ft Worth and only got $285 at the sale barn. That was less than I paid for it as a 3 month old calf. With that said, I fed out his half brother at 1350 lbs and he was the best eating freezer beef ever!

You will be better selling on fb marketplace or Craigslist. Sale barn folks aren't going to pay much for them . Sold a solid black 1/2 jersey steer a few years back , they put him down as Holstein ! Anyway took a beating on him because of the milk blood .

I usually get $.60 cents a pound if I take a jersey to the sale barn,. Now I sell them for a $1.00 a pound on Craigslist.

Latest posts