how much hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Are you supplementing the hay with feed or not? That will help determine how much hay to feed. My 900 pound heifer gets 4 scoops of Purina Honors Show Chow per day with 4-5 big flakes of hay. Hope this helped!

DRSCfarm":5c6bejdr said:
Are you supplementing the hay with feed or not? That will help determine how much hay to feed. My 900 pound heifer gets 4 scoops of Purina Honors Show Chow per day with 4-5 big flakes of hay. Hope this helped!

Nope....doesn't say a thing....

What's a scoop and what's a flake....Only weight measures and nutritional information tells says anything at all. All I know from your post is you own a heifer and feed it purina feeds and hay.

alisonb":2lj7rz9q said:
Quality of hay will also come into the equation.

Got that covered here alison....I thought.. :D

1982vett":2lj7rz9q said:
Nope....doesn't say a thing....

What's a scoop and what's a flake....Only weight measures and nutritional information tells says anything at all. All I know from your post is you own a heifer and feed it purina feeds and hay.

I am feeding 2 percent of their body weight and was wandering what the proper amount of hay was to feed them

Depending on the available forage in the pasture you may not need to feed any hay. We keep hay out free choice when our pasture doesn't support the cows. Make sure you usee good minerals and your calf has access to water also.

Wish I could graze a pasture a week and seven weeks later come back to it and it have knee high grass.... :p

I wish you guys could too Vette!! I have been praying for you and I know lots of Churches at home your plight is being lifted up daily!! Hang in there.

jcattle":tavkpu7n said:
I am feeding 2 percent of their body weight and was wandering what the proper amount of hay was to feed them
Without knowing the nutrient values of the hay anything is a guess but I'd say the 2% would be a minimum especially if they have no grazing. Hard to feed hay by weight unless you're feeding square bales. High quality hay should not need any additional supplementation.

Latest posts