How much Hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

BrokeFarmer

Reaction score
Hello, Been reading the board for a while, alot of good information here :D I have 3 18 month old heifers due to calve in february. I would guess they weigh between 800-900 lbs (Im not a good weight guesser), Roughly how many square bales of (mostly fescue with a little clover) hay will they need per day this winter?

Thanks!

ok bein bred and 18 months old i would say they weigh more then 900 pounds. it kinda depends on how big your square bales are. and are ya gonna be feedin anything else i would think??

I always was taught 25 pounds a day. Figure from there on the days you need to feed. Go with squares.

BrokeFarmer":3gkycg4e said:
Hello, Been reading the board for a while, alot of good information here :D I have 3 18 month old heifers due to calve in february. I would guess they weigh between 800-900 lbs (Im not a good weight guesser), Roughly how many square bales of (mostly fescue with a little clover) hay will they need per day this winter?

Thanks!

25-30 lbs/day is the general rule of thumb but, like all rules of thumb, it can vary widely depending on how severe your winters are, breed, easy keepers vs hard keepers, how accurate your estimate as to what they weigh is, whether they are on pasture or in a drylot environment, how well they maintain condition after calving, and what else - if anything - you're feeding them. A little more information would be very helpful. :)

Thanks for the replies, that will give me something to figure from :D

Last winter I was getting 6x6 rolls for 15.00 from a good friend right down the road, I would just go get one when I needed it and pay him when I saw him. He is afraid he isnt going to have enough hay for himself this year :( Nobody around here is selling any hay, alot of people are already having to feed hay. I can buy these square bales worth the money and thought I better get them while I can.

Sorry posted before I saw your reply, I have had the cows from weaning and they are 2 black angus and one black baldie, bred to a angus bull. Right now they are on about an 9 acre pasture, which is about dried up like the end of august, close to needing to feed hay now.

I"ve been feeding them a little grain and some range cubes, and all the mineral salt they want. I'm in Tennessse so the winters aren"t to bad.

Depending on how much is a 'little grain', and how many range cubes you're feeding - you have just cut down on the amount of hay they need. With 3 head, square bales are much easier to feed than round, in my honest opinion, and I've fed both - all you need is a pitchfork, and that's only if there are sandburrs/stickery things in it. :lol: :lol: Once they calve, watch them and, if you start seeing hollows in front of the hips or they start losing weight, adjust the hay accordingly.

Seems to me the heifers should have all the hay they can eat while nursing calves. They will need it to maintain weight and rebreed. Might take 30 pounds a day. When you fed big rounds, did you feed free choice?

Normally I would agree, but these heifers are also receiving grain of an undetermined amount, and range cubes of an undetermined amount - both of which could skew things in an undesirable direction. There is also the problem of not knowing the type of hay, protein content, or digestibility, or whether they are in dry lot or on stockpiled grass, plus winter's in Tennessee aren't usually as harsh as winters in your area or mine, so that is going to affect how much feed they need, and is another factor to take into consideration. Lastly - because Tennessee is in a region I'm not all that familiar with, I don't know when the grass starts coming on, what kind of grass it is, or the nutritional content. The last thing this gentleman needs are overly fat heifers who won't breed back because of that. I agree 100% that these heifers need adequate feed in order to continue growing while raising their calves, but feeding them free choice hay could very well be a train wreck waiting to happen. My thoughts on the topic at hand.

Yeah it so much depends on the quality of the hay. What I would do is feed a good quality mixed hay, with a lick tub, say 30% protein and tm salt block. I feed big bales, that's what I have. In a feeder so that would be free choice. No need to feed range cubes, or grain. Can't see them getting to fat nursing calves unless the cows are poor milkers, if that's the case let em get fat, put em in the freezer. :D

I am finding this conversation interesting, thanks for your guys replies.

When I fed round bales last winter it was free choice, and would probably feed free choice hay in round bales this winter if I could find it. These square bales are the first hay I've been able to buy.

As far as the quality of the hay I would have no idea of actual protein levels. All I can say for sure is it is mostly fescue with a little clover. I had been mixing grain with range cubes 50/50 and I fed them a one gallon scoop full (for all 3) every other day last winter. They picked up a little weight, friend said maybe to much.

The grass usually starts in late March or early April. Right now they are on pasture, with free choice mineral, I have been feeding them a handful of grain and range cubes every three or four days just to keep them where they will come when called. They seem to be thinning down, since the pasture has about fried up.

If It Doesnt start raining soon, I might have to getem fat and put all them in the freezer, I still dont have enough hay.

BrokeFarmer":2j45trgw said:
As far as the quality of the hay I would have no idea of actual protein levels.

Why not talk to the feedstores/extension office about getting it tested? Then you will know what protein content/digestibility you're looking at, and can devise a ration that will meet your girl's nutritional needs without overfeeding your hay and depleting it faster than necessary. You might also look into DDG, soy hulls, cottonseed hulls, and other things that will deliver the nutritional needs and help stretch your hay - do a search on here, and you will get a wealth of information. If you're buying the grain and rangecubes in sacks, check into bulk if you have the means to store them. Bulk is usually at least a little bit cheaper, and sometimes a lot cheaper. I'm sure you already know that, but felt it was worth mentioning - just in case. Just a few things to think about.

i would feed 30 lbs of hay a day. you can just feed hay if you want. they wont be in as good condition but if thats all you have go ahead and do it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a cows requirements more like 25-30# of dry matter depending on protein content?