How Much Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

3wishes

Reaction score
How much hay does a Jersey in milk need per day when she is receiving minerals and minimal grain to supplement her moderate production?

Free choice hay. Not sure about how much a Jersey will actually consume -- my holsteins can eat a 70lb alfalfa bale per day -- maybe half a bale for a Jersey? you'll have to experiment and see what she cleans up.

About two and half pounds per 100 lbs. of body weight.
A 1000 lb cow needs about 25 lbs of hay if she gets no pasture or silage.

It depends on the moisture content and how much silage she consumes. Rough figuring, if your silage is 65% moisture, 35% dry matter. For every ten lbs of silage you could take away three and half lbs of hay. Do I have you confused? This just rough figures. You need to talk to your local feed store and see if they will do a ration for you.

yes you have me confused rkm. where in ny are you? I know some people up in Lewis County. Milk about 400 I think.

It would be good hay but not alfalfa since I feed Purina 16% dairy special plus alfalfa pellets for thecalcium and protein. (Would that do?) So a Jersey taping at 820 pounds would need about 21 pounds of good 2nd cutting hay?