How much hay per calf? please......

Help Support CattleToday:

Melody

Reaction score
:lol: OK I am not new to this but I did it with my daddy when I was a little girl
I never had to worry about silly stuff like how much hay do I need per animal we just cut it stored it loose in the hay mow and forked it to the cattle in the winter time.
Now I am pressed to know
#1 how much hay should I expect my calves to need this winter in Oklahoma. (pounds per calf) their current weight is appx 400 # not varrying more than + or - 50# per calf. I intend to grain through the winter as normal and keep up the the suplemenets they require.
#2 I also gave a heard of dorpher sheep and would like it if some one knew how mych hay they might require through thw winter. I am expecting to have to feed 120 days through the winter if some one can advise me as to hom many Pound of hay per animal I should need it would be appreciated.
Melody

Melody":r1xp9tqa said:
:lol: OK I am not new to this but I did it with my daddy when I was a little girl
I never had to worry about silly stuff like how much hay do I need per animal we just cut it stored it loose in the hay mow and forked it to the cattle in the winter time.
Now I am pressed to know
#1 how much hay should I expect my calves to need this winter in Oklahoma. (pounds per calf) their current weight is appx 400 # not varrying more than + or - 50# per calf. I intend to grain through the winter as normal and keep up the the suplemenets they require.
#2 I also gave a heard of dorpher sheep and would like it if some one knew how mych hay they might require through thw winter. I am expecting to have to feed 120 days through the winter if some one can advise me as to hom many Pound of hay per animal I should need it would be appreciated.
Melody
You can figure roughly 2 1/2 % of body weight per day on consumption for your sheep and for calves. This will vary as to amount of grain feeding, what type of hay, what type of stockpiled forages they have, etc. But this will get you in the ball park.

Latest posts