How much has Atkins diet added to cattle price boom?

Help Support CattleToday:

redangus

Reaction score
I read recently where many Idaho's potato growers are in horrible shape. You guys got any information?

redangus":3730b9mj said:
I read recently where many Idaho's potato growers are in horrible shape. You guys got any information?

I've heard that, too, about the potato industry. And the bread people are also being hit. Krispy Kreem donuts will be out with a lo carb donut pretty soon. Coke is coming out with a version of regular Coke that's lower in carbs and Hershey has a low carb candy bar. I was at a family reunion last weekend and was surprised at how many people had been or were on the Atkins Diet. And they all had lost weight on it.

The University of FL has been working with some farmers to produce a new potato that will grow well in FL. They imported one from Holland (I think) and it's doing well. They've also discovered it has 30% fewer carbs than the Russett potatoes we usually see in the supermarket. They're planning to send them to market next year as a branded product, like Vidalia Onions.

The Atkins diet has had a pronounced effect on all the food markets. I work in the rice industry. Our company is fairing rather well, but sales are down about 10% across the industry. These people that aren't eating rice are replacing it with something and it isn't potatoes.

JB

I've been on the Sugar Busters diet for two years now, which is similar to Adkins. I don't eat any starch.. bread, potatoes, rice, etc. If as many people are going to Adkins as the media shows, I'm sure it's impacting many facets of the grocery industry!

Speaking of Krispy Kreme's.. we just had a new one start up in Waco, and it rarely has more than two cars in the parking lot at a time. Not a good time to start up a business like that.

TheBullLady":245xi31j said:
Speaking of Krispy Kreme's.. we just had a new one start up in Waco, and it rarely has more than two cars in the parking lot at a time. Not a good time to start up a business like that.

Didn't realize you lived around Waco. I'm about 15 miles NW of Waco in China Spring area. If ya'll are ever out this way, you'll have to come by the ranch sometime.

Latest posts