How much grain for your show steer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
How much grain (pounds per day) would you feed your 1400lb show steer per day to be ready for the show. Meaning, his maxium lbs per day at show time?

Thanks,
Alan

hraz":37opn2s4 said:
When is your show and what is your goal weight?

No show, no show steer, was at a local fair today and spoke with a young man in 4-H, just want to compare notes. He has his 1400lb steer on grain for the last 150 days at "X" amount a day. Would like to hear other folks "X" amount (in pounds of grain per day), then move on to my next questions, since I know nothing about fitting up a show steer and your answers may answer many of my questions.

Thanks,
Alan

Me: hay and oats, only because our top limit is 1400.

But if there was no top limit I would be feeding somewhere between 28-42 lbs/day. I know, there's a big BIG gap between there but it all just depends on the steer and how well they have converted feed.

Okay thanks for the answers. Here is the part I don't understand and maybe someone can clear this up. The young man said he bought the steer as a weanling for $800. He has had him for almost a year, for the last 150 days he has been graining him 50lbs a day at $12 per bag.

My math: $800 for the purchase price plus $12 x 150 days = $1800 in feed plus $800 = $2600 in the steer not including hay, bedding, vet cost.

Will this steer most likely be sold at a profit? If no what is the big incentive for raising and showing a steer? Winning? (meaning it's not for breeding). Not trying to be snotty, just looking for an education.

Thanks,
Alan

ya the kid paid alot for his food but all depends on where u live some fair steer go for more like mine if you make 3 grand you did horrible 3,000 is low here in nor cal.

Alan":d206lydt said:
Will this steer most likely be sold at a profit? If no what is the big incentive for raising and showing a steer? Winning? (meaning it's not for breeding). Not trying to be snotty, just looking for an education.

Thanks,
Alan

Most show steers are sold at an auction at some point where there is a premium for the kid. Local shows it could be a few hundred dollars for a run of the mill steer, up to the 25 thousand range at a state fair or $100,000 range at a national for grand champions. Very few turn a profit anyway.

People will pay $10,000 or more for a steer to show, so you have to have a lot of success to even break even on them.

Alan":7u9t2aup said:
Okay thanks for the answers. Here is the part I don't understand and maybe someone can clear this up. The young man said he bought the steer as a weanling for $800. He has had him for almost a year, for the last 150 days he has been graining him 50lbs a day at $12 per bag.

My math: $800 for the purchase price plus $12 x 150 days = $1800 in feed plus $800 = $2600 in the steer not including hay, bedding, vet cost.

Thanks,
Alan

Wow! 50 lbs per day right off the get go? Thats a ton of grain! From what I have experienced, feeding more that 3% of their body weight in grain will slow down the adg. This steer will probably not be sold for a profit. He may break even, but I doubt that there willl be much of a profit for him.

Alan":38gn7ple said:
How much grain (pounds per day) would you feed your 1400lb show steer per day to be ready for the show. Meaning, his maxium lbs per day at show time?

Thanks,
Alan

Should be feeding 3% of the steers body weight in grain. so about 42lbs.

Thanks for all the answers, I may have not understood things well, the steer was on grain for 150 days, maybe not 50lbs a day for 150 days.

Thanks again,

Alan

My kids have average close to $3500-$4000 a steer so yes you can make a profit. If you watch your money and don't over spend on the price of a steer and shop around for feed you can do it.

SKF Show Cattle":8diw20o0 said:
My kids have average close to $3500-$4000 a steer so yes you can make a profit. If you watch your money and don't over spend on the price of a steer and shop around for feed you can do it.

Which brings up my next question. Does someone buy a $3000 to $4000 steer because of the kids effort or is there another reason such as a local businesses way of support of the 4-H or FFA program?

Thanks again,
Alan

Alan":25o7kh1x said:
SKF Show Cattle":25o7kh1x said:

Which brings up my next question. Does someone buy a $3000 to $4000 steer because of the kids effort or is there another reason such as a local businesses way of support of the 4-H or FFA program?

Thanks again,
Alan
it aint easy to get 6000 on a calf at the county fair. the 4-hers make the sale they have to go and get the buyers. we usually invite about 40 people each year and usually at least 25 come. doing bussiness with them helps but so does just talking with them sometimes. and showing them your operation. even the kids that their animals dont do good. they still sell for about the same money as the others.

Our local fairs have good support from the community. We have a lot of repeat buyers. It's a tax write off plus good advertising. The bussiness that bought our county fair grand champion steer paid $8.00lb and was a complete stranger to the exhibitor.

Here at our county fair our grand champion steer gets 1500.00, reserve 1250.00, 3rd 1000.00. The last two years, there have only been 2-3 steers in the county. My son has been grand the last two years, but won't be this year, our steer got crippled on us. The main thing with us showing steers is it gives my son a market animal for our "premium sale" he has shown goats and lambs but he has always showed cattle and he likes having a steer for market. We have also sold half the beef each year, we don't even look at "cost" as such anymore because I'd rather be spending money on feed, show entry fees, fuel and hotels, and all that show stuff, then to be posting bond or hiring lawyers.

Latest posts