How much grain and what type is the best?

Help Support CattleToday:

Somn...I learned long ago to never get into a Pi**ing contest with a skunk but that said you finally said one thing we agree on completely and that is the changes we have gone thru in the cattle industry over 30 years and we will continue producing the best beef in the world hopefully. I guess where you and I differ is that you speak in generalities too much. In one post you say "6 lbs. of protein" and in another you say "6 pounds of protein pellets". Now that's a big difference. If you're feeding 6 lbs. of 40% protein pellets then that's 2.4 lbs. of protein. If you're feeding 6 lbs. of a 14% mixed ration that's .84 lbs. of protein. If you're feeding 6 lbs. of "protein" then you have to feed 37.5 lbs. of a 16% ration to get that.

As for you taking my advice, I wouldn't advise it either. For 6 head it wouldn't be worth it for either of us. Feed'um fish heads. :heart:

TexasBred":1692w76q said:
Somn...I learned long ago to never get into a Pi**ing contest with a skunk but that said you finally said one thing we agree on completely and that is the changes we have gone thru in the cattle industry over 30 years and we will continue producing the best beef in the world hopefully. I guess where you and I differ is that you speak in generalities too much. In one post you say "6 lbs. of protein" and in another you say "6 pounds of protein pellets". Now that's a big difference. If you're feeding 6 lbs. of 40% protein pellets then that's 2.4 lbs. of protein. If you're feeding 6 lbs. of a 14% mixed ration that's .84 lbs. of protein. If you're feeding 6 lbs. of "protein" then you have to feed 37.5 lbs. of a 16% ration to get that.

As for you taking my advice, I wouldn't advise it either. For 6 head it wouldn't be worth it for either of us. Feed'um fish heads. :heart:
There you go pulling numbers out of the air again. The man had 4 head and I have never said anything differnet in any of my posts all have been identical you need to learn how to read better or something.

somn":3m4653ab said:
If it was me I would feed them shell corn and 1.5 pounds of 40% protein pellets with 22% from urea per day. (Using 400 grams monensin and 250 grams tylan per ton as the drug in the pellets.) I would let the calves get adjusted to the corn slowly as suggested in the previous post then when they have adjusted to the corn I would make sure that they have feed in the bunk all day long everyday until slaughter. Make certian they are getting the 6 pounds of protien per day total for the four head. Corn consumption will vary until they are are on full feed corn. After that mixing the ration will be simple.
I will try to walk you thru this as slowly as I can TexasBred. Look close now this is my very first post the one you have difficulty understanding. 1.5 pounds of 40% protien pellets per day. Do you see that it is in the first sentence? The man owned 3 jersey steers and 1 holstien. That equals 4 head. Simple math 4 head times 1.5# equals 6#. I never spoke of any type of protien other than the 40% pellets. Maybe this whole cattle feeding concept might be a bit much for you to understand. You might want to focus on something a little more simple like grass fed cattle. Grass in front of cattle, cattle eat the grass none of your confusion will matter.

Somn...your post of 9/25 says "Make certain they are getting the 6 pounds of protien per day total for the four head".

The incorrect spelling of "protein" is your spelling. In another post you said "protein pellets". But I know what you've been trying to say in between the ad hominem attacks. Now, I've got other things to do so need to scoot. Oh by the way, grass was the original feed for cattle. We made grain eaters of them. Matter of fact an intensive grazing operation is still the most profitable way to put gain on cattle if you live in an area of the country where it is practical.

4 head huh?? Nice hobby anyway. When you get a herd hire a nutrtionist and listen to him. Best Wishes. :)

TexasBred":1xc3qq0l said:
Somn...your post of 9/25 says "Make certain they are getting the 6 pounds of protien per day total for the four head".

The incorrect spelling of "protein" is your spelling. In another post you said "protein pellets". But I know what you've been trying to say in between the ad hominem attacks. Now, I've got other things to do so need to scoot. Oh by the way, grass was the original feed for cattle. We made grain eaters of them. Matter of fact an intensive grazing operation is still the most profitable way to put gain on cattle if you live in an area of the country where it is practical.

4 head huh?? Nice hobby anyway. When you get a herd hire a nutrtionist and listen to him. Best Wishes. :)
I'm not sure if Brent considers what he is doing a hobby or not but that really doesn't matter to me but apparently you would not want to waste your time to offer advice to hobby boys. That is good for Brent however because you would only try and mislead him anyway with you piss poor math and line of BS. You are just like almost every nutritionist I've ever had to the feedlot you are all quick to tell someone how stupid they are but yet they aren't smart enough to understand it themselves. I might spell the word protien wrong but at least I'm smart enough to figure out how much of it is and isn't in a cattle feed ration.

TexasBred":3vqv396t said:
I'm not trying to be an internet cowboy or smart ass. I've done consulting nutritional work for 30 years plus...but I too make mistakes. Thanks for pointing this one out to me and again my apologies. No offense for intended.
Must really hurt your pride that a 34 year old feedlot owner had to explain your business to you huh? It is easy to call it a mistake when you don't have any other excuse other than arrogance. All nutritionist need to have business cards that read the same thing as the header. We will dazzle you with our brilliance or baffle you with our bull **** and we prefer the second method. So far I've learned one thing about you that is you fall right into the same catagory as the 20 ton per acre per cutting alfalfa yielder and the 12 to 1 grain to forage silage guy who thinks roundup wears off the three of you would have looked smarter if you just wouldn't have commented on something that you didn't know anything about.

TexasBred":1b1pcrst said:
"6 lbs. of protein" Is this pure protein or are you using protein to refer to your grain ration??
Your the self proclaimed nutritionist you should be able to figure this out. What was the only source of protien that I had mentioned in the begining of the post? It was 40% protien pellets. 1.5# protien pellets x 4 head = 6# man this really shouldn't be that hard for you to understand. Now had I mentioned the words pure protien or anything about lets say a 16% protien complete feed maybe then I could understand where a novice to cattle nutrition would get confused but only one source had been mentioned by me. I would really like to continue to try and teach you the aspects of a feed ration but nothing seems to sink in. Maybe you just really struggle with the math. Regardless I'm done with this post I can't teach those who are to arrogant to learn.

roflmbo...you don't need to be trying to teach anyone. Spend some time thinking up names for those 4 calves. lolol