How much gain???

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
I have 2 black Angus hfrs that i feed every day {14% PROTEIN PELLETS mixed with sweet feed}They have a bail of hay in the small pasture they are in its about 3 acres.They have salt also.I feed them about 3 1/2 quarts a day...

what does the 3.5 qts weigh

what I am feeding weighs close to 6.5lbs pr gal if yours is the same you would be feeding 5.68lbs per day

if that is per hd I would guess you should be in the range of 2.25# per day of gain but if that is between the 2 hd I would say you would be around 1.5# per day or a little less

how could anyone accurately predict adg and conversion without knowing how big the cattle are?

amazing. nowhere but the internet could you find two rocket scientists who can predict conversion and adg to within a few tenths of a pound without knowing how big the cattle are. amazing.

irked":3jqzsww6 said:
amazing. nowhere but the internet could you find two rocket scientists who can predict conversion and adg to within a few tenths of a pound without knowing how big the cattle are. amazing.
Sorry IRKED I was assuming she was talking about weaned calves which should be in the 4-600lb range but if she is talking about larger heifers then my numbers will be off

if she IS talking about weaned calves then my #s should be fairly accurate

irked":3h4h07zo said:
also Irked I didn't make any rude or derrogatory comments to or about you so until I do please refrain from doing so about me

the real answer to the question is that it was impossible to answer the question with the information given. but you chose to throw out some numbers anyway. in fact, i actually found it quite amusing. you estimated the weight of the feed down to the hundredths of a pound, but you neglected to ask how big the heifers are. if you find my amusement over that to be rude or derogatory, i suppose i can live with that. thanks for the laugh.

I believe that Angus Cowman gave a good helpful answer. And accurate with the information available.

irked, did you actually just waste your time typing that? Now I'm starting to understand your screen name. Someone asked for help and someone tried to give them that help, and all you can do is that? Go be irked by yourself!!

Irke and they are these people are going based on there knowledge of the matter and are quit helpful so far you hadnt said anything but how impossible the task was.. :)

irked":eghiupim said:

Or the digestability of the feed.

I have 5 holstein steer calves ranging from 150lbs to 200lbs how much should i feed them??

bigbull338":23jhxs6u said:
you sould be feeding them 20 to 25lbs of grain a day.
you might want to be more specific, is that 20 to 25 pounds total per day or per head per day? There are some people who have no idea how much to feed, you could be confusing them even more.

Latest posts