How much feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I'm looking for some estimates on how much grain and hay (in lb.) a 1000 lb. steer should be getting. I have not recently weighed my steer (I'm going to on Sat.) but he is on 22 lb. of grain, 2 lb. Calf Manna, and 4 lb. Oat Hay per day. I think he should weigh close to 1000 lb.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

If he is at a 1000 lbs and is by himself his intake is really good (around 2.4 % of body weight). I would say that as long as he is eating like this and he doesn't have loose stool then keep doing what your doing. If his stool is fine and if he will eat more you may bump up your grain and calf manna a little more, say a lb of grain and half pound of calf manna. hay level should be fine.
<br>

Thanks so much for your reply. When he goes over 1000 lb, I will be switching him to the Akey level three feed (for steers over 1000 lb.) Should I continue to increase his feed a bit when I do this (assuming he can eat more), or should I stay at a steady level? Also, should hay be cut off before fair? If so, how long before, and at what rate?
<br>

[email protected]

I didn't relieze that this was a fair steer. I was assuming you wanted him to finish as quickly as possible. If your fair is a ways off you don't want him to be over conditioned. Once you get his weight and figure out roughly what he is gaining per day you can roughly figure out what he will weigh at fair time. If this weight is around the weight that your breed typically finishes at your in pretty good shape. If he will be a bit heavy you may consider leaving his feed at the current level or backing off a little. Be careful though because typically as steers get heavier (closer to finish) their feed efficiency decreases and they will not gain as much with a given amount of feed as before. If he needs to gain a bit more and if he can eat it pour it to him. The way we feed heavy steers that are eating the way yours is is to increase total diet every three (3) days by about 1-1.5 lbs untill they start leaving feed. When they start leaving feed you know you reached his ad-libitum intake. At this point back him down to where he was consuming all that was offered. I myself would not pull the hay out. Him chewing his cud is a way to be sure his belly isn't upset causing fluctionations in the amount he is eating. What is the Akey level three feed and what are their feeding recomendations for this feed. Good luck
<br>

Latest posts