How much ear?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

How much Brahman blood would be needed in brood cows for heat tolerance in South Carolina?

So a rotational cross between hereford and a brangus, santa gertrudis, or beefmaster would be sufficient?

Copenhagen & Shiner Bock":y7gbwbit said:
So a rotational cross between hereford and a brangus, santa gertrudis, or beefmaster would be sufficient?
Yes, if you want a bunch of mongrels.

Well I have always thought that a hereford/brangus cross would be similar too, but better than the old regular hereford/angus cross.

Copenhagen & Shiner Bock":1jem9jco said:
Well I have always thought that a hereford/brangus cross would be similar too, but better than the old regular hereford/angus cross.
It will give you more heat and insect tolerence. Not quiet as good the quality of carcass.

brangus and braford 3/8x5/8 (or similar) is good, 3/8 brahman is a good momma cow to use a non-earred bull on. gives you less than 1/4 brahman.

I personally think there is no better brood cow than a Brangus. As far as your Herford x Brangus baldies, they top the charts at my local sales.

Braford cows and Angus bulls work well with me. Most call the result a "super baldy." Only problem is the Angus bulls need pampering in our climate. They're in the shade panting while the cows are out in the sun kicking up their heals, but the bulls get busy when the sun goes down.

Simbrahs are hard to find here, but Brangus, Beefmasters, and Santa Gertrudis are plentiful.

Latest posts