How much ear?

Help Support CattleToday:

angusgalore":2314aiyg said:
where im from they dont like alot of ear is 1\8 too much?

Well, don't know where you're from, but here in southern OK, the local cattle buyer says his customers doesn't want any more than 1/4 Brahman blood in their stockers. If you're selling into the stocker market, breeding a BrahmanX cow to a good Angus bull :D would probably make your local cattle buyer happy.

TexasCountryWoman":1hqwlyit said:
Brangus cows with a Polled Hereford Bull makes very marketable calves in this area (Central Texas).

i agree. they sell well as both steers and replacement heifers.

If you have a mature cow herd and dont retain heifers as replacements, I would use the BEEFMASTER Bull with a high weaning and yearling actual weight, great EPD's, and an actual BW ranging from 75-90#

You will get growth, marbling, and heat tollerance.

I don't know what your cow herd is. Is is Hereford or Hereford cross?

OldTex":1cxxxrl8 said:
chili pepper":1cxxxrl8 said:
la4angus, I have to disagree.Every one of my halfblood brahmas went choice or better at Moyer Packing. :cboy:

More the exception than the rule.

OldTex I would appreciate it if when a statement or question is directed to me you would let me comment on it please.

chili pepper
I would have never guessed that they would even go choice. That is the pits about not taking them through ownership to slaughter is you don't know the exact choice + or -.
You say choice or better. What % of these were better than choice.

chili pepper":2a8x8bo3 said:
Every one of my halfblood brahmas went choice or better at Moyer Packing.
I'm kinda curious about those results, too. That sounds pretty good! Are you saying that you fed a pen (or more) of halfblood Brahmans with no Selects, no dark cutters, no outliers of any kind? If you don't consider it being nosey Chili Pepper, I'd like to know how many days they were on feed and yield grade on your cattle.

Texan":14ryiw0l said:
chili pepper":14ryiw0l said:
Every one of my halfblood brahmas went choice or better at Moyer Packing.
I'm kinda curious about those results, too. That sounds pretty good! Are you saying that you fed a pen (or more) of halfblood Brahmans with no Selects, no dark cutters, no outliers of any kind? If you don't consider it being nosey Chili Pepper, I'd like to know how many days they were on feed and yield grade on your cattle.

I smell Smoke

What was the other 50% blood -- Angus, Shorthorn or Hereford? And as Texan hinted, I bet they had to stay on feed a pretty long time (certainly longer than straight British) to get all those Choices. Right?

And what was the average YG?

Also, did you untrasound and cull the group before sending them to feed?

Not saying you did this, but give me access to ultrasound equipment and a big enough group of calves to start with and I might be able to hit all Choice or better with a pen of Beefmaster or tiger calves too, fed properly and ling enough.

chili pepper":3uckaq6j said:
la4angus, I have to disagree.Every one of my halfblood brahmas went choice or better at Moyer Packing. :cboy:

Some graders are easier on their standards for choice too.

Copenhagen & Shiner Bock":3j1tr4yh said:
So a rotational cross between hereford and a brangus, santa gertrudis, or beefmaster would be sufficient?

If it were me, I would go with the Beefmaster or the Brangus. I have had Brangus x with Hereford and Limousine. I have some of the Replacements and their first calves look almost as good as the older cows.
I don't really like Santa Gertrudis. They just seem to get skinny in the winter. If you care about your replacements to be black, I would go with a black Beefmaster.

All you need is an 1/8 brahman influence and you'll see it in the ear anything that has just the slightest amount of brahman in it you can tell even 1/16 you can see in the ear

Sorry it took so long to get back to you with an answer. I've been running two loads of calves west a week here lately and have been busy. The cattle I retained where fed locally here in Ohio. I wanted to see how they would grade so I kept back 18 head weaned at around 500#.10 where 1/2 brahma and either hereford/anguscross or 1/2 angus. The other 8 where calves out of a brangus bull and 1/4 brahma-3/4 angus cross cows. They went in the lot at close to 750-800# and finished avg. 1180. I averaged a 3-4# a day gain. I hauled them myself with a finished load of NFO fats to Moyers. :cboy:

Latest posts