How much does Who made Who semen go for?

Help Support CattleToday:

Iowa-angus

Reaction score
I am saving up to get good semen for my heifer and i have heard that who made who is great. What is the running price for semen?

I have heard anywhere from $25 to $60 Lautner has it listed on their web page at $25 could be an old price.

Don't waste your time with that train wreck of a bull. Just look around and find you a good calving ease bull and save some money.

the reason i want to use Who Made Who was because i have heard he is one of the only good club bulls with a good temperament. I have heard heat wave and sun seeker's calves have some of the worst temperaments because of the chi in them.

Good luck finding a clubby bull without a little chi in them. Your taking a pretty big gamble with WMW on structure. If thats a risk you are willing to take then go for it. I would be more worried about getting that heifer settled and having a live calf than what the calf is going to look like.

I don't think the Chi would have much to do with temperament. Everyone I've ever met has said that Chi cattle are very docile. That's pure bred though.

really!??!??!
all of the chi's i have met have been wild and temperamental! Our vet actually hates heat wave and sun seeker calves and has met he wave clones 5 and 6. He said the only club bull he would ever consider using was who made who and he actually recomended him. I want to stay away from chi and yes, who made who has 1/4th chi, but that is better than heat wave and sun seeker. One part of it is even the lines of heat wave and sun seeker are wild.. Its not just the chi...
another part about the chi and heat wave and all those, they are very moody and easily spooked. At least the calves that i have met.

I am definitely sticking with Who made Who.

maybe the chi's over in australia are tamer than the ones in the US???
Just a thought...

No, purebred cattle are generally more docile than crossbred cattle. When you get all these hot bloodlines together you can get a tempermental animal. I wouldn't take one mans advice on a animal and run with it. Do you homework. Your not gonna be able to get any Ali but look at his sons. Most are calving ease and are throwing good calves.

Dirty Hairy is an Ali son that has been doing well as a calving ease sire, but like Cowboy said, can't go wrong with calving ease angus the first time. Who is a train wreck when bred to train wreck cows, if your cows are commercial type you can get some decent steers no show stoppers but a decent steer, the heifers will make good cows. Breed him to clubby cows and you are in a crap shoot.
Just out of curiosity want is the breeding on your heifer?

VCC":ap8ukq2d said:
Dirty Hairy is an Ali son that has been doing well as a calving ease sire, but like Cowboy said, can't go wrong with calving ease angus the first time. Who is a train wreck when bred to train wreck cows, if your cows are commercial type you can get some decent steers no show stoppers but a decent steer, the heifers will make good cows. Breed him to clubby cows and you are in a crap shoot.
Just out of curiosity want is the breeding on your heifer?

She's an angus/herf cross if I remember correctly. Most likely no problems from WMW, but just don't see the point in using him when there are better bulls out there.

actually when i use him it won't be her first time. This year she is already bred so next year will be her 2nd breeding season.
Yes, she is an angus/polled hertfurd cross. her mom was a black baldie and the sire would have been purebred angus. She is also a black baldie.

The reason Who made Who is the bull that i want to use is because 1. my vet highly recommends him and 2. i have heard great things about his calves.
and how is he a trainwreck?

Iowa-angus":1zhs194u said:
actually when i use him it won't be her first time. This year she is already bred so next year will be her 2nd breeding season.
Yes, she is an angus/polled hertfurd cross. her mom was a black baldie and the sire would have been purebred angus. She is also a black baldie.

The reason Who made Who is the bull that i want to use is because 1. my vet highly recommends him and 2. i have heard great things about his calves.
and how is he a trainwreck?

WMW is a structual nightmare when used on the wrong cow. Cripple calves are the norm. It's your cow though, go with what you feel. I would imagine that your vet doesn't have much to do with show much since he's speaking highly of WMW.

The reason i go with my vets word is because his family was a showing family. he showed from his first year in 4-H to his last year of eligibility in FFA. He also had younger and older siblings who showed. He knows a lot about the showring and has actually given me some really good showmanship tips before.

Iowa-angus":nd01pjmi said:
The reason i go with my vets word is because his family was a showing family. he showed from his first year in 4-H to his last year of eligibility in FFA. He also had younger and older siblings who showed. He knows a lot about the showring and has actually given me some really good showmanship tips before.

Showmanship hasn't changed as much in the past 20 years as genetics have.

Iowa-angus":1pjks78q said:
really!??!??!
all of the chi's i have met have been wild and temperamental! Our vet actually hates heat wave and sun seeker calves and has met he wave clones 5 and 6. He said the only club bull he would ever consider using was who made who and he actually recomended him. I want to stay away from chi and yes, who made who has 1/4th chi, but that is better than heat wave and sun seeker. One part of it is even the lines of heat wave and sun seeker are wild.. Its not just the chi...
another part about the chi and heat wave and all those, they are very moody and easily spooked. At least the calves that i have met.

I am definitely sticking with Who made Who.

maybe the chi's over in australia are tamer than the ones in the US???
Just a thought...

Yeah but those guys aren't full blood. Original Chi's were bred as work animals in Italy so they had to be docile. Part of the issues with temperament in many animals is that temperament hasn't been an important factor in selection. People find it hard to cull a stunning animal if it has a terrible temperament.

I had a quick look on top sires and I don't mind that Gigelo Joe, they're selling him for $25 straw. I looked around and people's experience he calves easy and the calves are nice. Might pay to look around as get a list of what you like, then ask people if they've used them and what they were like.

Aussi-Cowgirl, In the US you can register almost anything with Chi in it, all the calf need is a small percentage of Chi to be registered, the running joke goes something like this.

The cows was stalled next to a Chi at the fair so her calf can be registered as a Chi

We walked a Chi bull past the pasture so all the calves a Chi

The AI tech had Chi Semen in the take so all the calves are Chi

Most of the Club calf bulls have some chi but it might be around a 1/8 or less.
They blame the Chi for the attitude most of the Chi where Angus Chi crosses, could have been from the Angus side or a combo of both. Allot of the time it is the bull cow combo that gives you the nut jobs.

We have had 3 heat waves all were mellow, had a Friction that was a time bomb, had a Paddy that would have temper tantrums but was never mean. This year's steer was an Invincible who is out of Heat Wave and he was a dream, never kicked, or got angry. You could not pull him you had to lead him if you tried to pull him he would freeze and not move. Son won showmanship with him, so in they used the steer in Round Robin Class, when it came time for the seniors to show beef, my son had to use a different steer than his own, the girl that got his steer started try to pull the steer and not lead him, that was the end of it for him he stood in the middle of the ring and would not budge. After the class was over they brought in a new steer to replace him. I walked in gave a slight tug and release on the halter and back to the barn he went. They all have their quirks; some are just easier to manage.

Yeah you're right. I don't think that temper problems can be blamed on breed unless we're talking pure breds or first crosses, after that it's watered down whit all sorts of stuff and it's not fair to blame the 'breed'. I've had angus before that have required almost no breaking in, they're just so quiet, but then they have that tag of being temperamental. But I think you're right that it comes down to the cow/bull combo.

It's always nice having a secret weapon in handlers comps, mean, but good for you. Like something with ear (which tends to scare people) or like you say, one that likes to be lead, not dragged.

When it comes to showing I would rather have a calf a tick high headed over a lazy one. If you know how to handle them they look a lot better in the ring than one that tries to fall asleep on you.

We have been breeding cattle for quite sometime and we have heard the horror stories of WMW being a so called "Train Wreck", we broke down last year and decided why not try him. We were amazed at how structurally correct our calves were. Such a great combination our daughter won Grand Champion feeder calf with him. Our other WMW was the best steer calf that the cow had ever had. So we had 2 great successes in our opinion? When you get a good one you really get a good one. I guess when you get a bad one you will never take the chance again.

Who was bred to everything that had an udder, just like Heat Wave is now; As with most popular clubby bulls the cow needs to structurally correct or you will take the chance of having a train wreck. Either bull bred to the right cows can give you something special, bred to the wrong cow and off to the sale barn. The Who Made Who Daughters are turning out to be very good cows, Heat Wave daughters are another story.

Latest posts