How much does a tree weigh?

Help Support CattleToday:

The 40 to 50' ones don't bother me much when it comes to throwing one.
It is the 90 to 100 footers where the pucker factor gets high.
When they hit the ground it vibrates. Had some pine cut some years back they had to haul over
to Louisiana as they were to big for the mills here the ground shook when they hit the ground.

We do not throw trees unless there is absolutely nothing around. Sure you can dance with the devil 100 times and its all fun and games but when it comes time to pay the piper it aint never nice.We limb the tree then chunk it down to about 20 feet then we will throw it thats much more managable as I am in business to make money not pay it out so we take every precaution we can when fooling with trees. The most damage I have cause was a fence when a branch slipped out of a rope that a guy didn't tie correctly.

I've just been doing firewood and cutting down a bunch of dead firs and pines.. I really have no idea about the size and shape of this mulberry tree (there are none around here)..
Is mulberry wood a brittle or flexible wood? that can make a lot of difference in your cuts as well

For a tree of any significant size, I like making the wedge cut about 2" shy of the centerline of the tree, and my back cut about 2-3" above it.

You don't need to have all that much line pull if you can get the cable up high enough... if the tree is about 60' high as you say, and you can get up about 30 or so, I doubt there are many trees around that would require more than a ton of line pull to get them to fall your way, if they aren't leaning.. if they lean, it can require a lot more.

For the fir trees I was falling, a lot of them were perfectly balanced, and that didn't make them easy to fall, I'd wedge cut a bit over half, then back cut for about an inch of hinge and they'd still stand there perfectly, I'd just push on them to make them fall over... these were about 50' firs, with a 14-16" butt diameter.

2 years ago (nearly to the day actually), I lost one of my friends to a logging accident... he was an experienced faller, but messed up... here's that story

They had a Cat 940 grapple loader against a big dead pine (30" butt diameter, probably about 100' high), and he instructed the loader operator to put his forks around the tree and push on it, he did his cuts, and the hinge broke, the tree came sideways, and since the forks were on each side of the tree, it took the loader with it, and he was crushed by the loader. This was a guy who worked over 20 years in the bush.

Yep, if you try to pull it over, make sure someone is making a video. I'm not sure if you could sell that, but it might cover some of the costs of rebuilding.

I agree with getting a lift. We did that a few years ago when taking down my sister's tree in her yard in her town. A big willow tree with branches going every direction, including the neighbors yard and over lines. We took a chunk at a time, and left the stump about 8 feet high and over 4 feet across. Actually cut some spiral steps around the edge so you could get up on top.

Was a good opportunity for family to get together - everybody loves to destroy a tree - must have had 30 people show up. And the ladies were really pumping out the pies. Chainsaws and pies - doesn't get any better than that.

I have big pine trees in my yard I save for family get-togethers. I have a couple 110 footers to take out in the next few years - one ten feet from the barn, and the other about 15 feet behind the house. Might be too tall for a lift - my brother has climbing gear - just need some young legs.

That sounds like our old willow tree.. it was planted about 1935, about 4" trunk, probably 50' high and the same around... it's certainly a hazard to the house, but the house is the same age and not worth that much... The tree is cheap air conditioning

Latest posts