Votes: 40 54.8%
  • Should be 25%

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • These poor folks work for peanuts, never less then 25%

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I start my wood stove with 20's I leave at least 30 to 100%

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
I'm a cheapskate, I'll tip 10% and round up to and round up to a convenient number, I won't tip for snotty service. I do treat the wait staff with respect though and don't make myself a pain in the butt.

I've busted my ass all my life and never received a tip, and in most cases no recognition for going an extra mile... I don't see why one industry is deserving of gratuities and no others are.

greybeard":2jdj7ifg said:
BK9954":2jdj7ifg said:
T.I.P.S. To Insure Proper Service
In Texas you make $2.13 per hour plus tips so you are REALLY working for tips. 2.13 covers mostly taxes. If you go out to eat, get good service and dont tip, in my opinion, its rude and almost theft of service.

I never understood the whole "I agree to work for peanuts and depend on the generosity of complete strangers to pay 90% of my income."
If no one tipped, would you have found another occupation?
Do you tip when you go to a place where you know the workers are probably not paid very well--like Walmart, the feed store etc?
Its part of the industry, and yes I would have found another job. And then that restaurant service will go to heck. Along with its customers. A lot of full service restaurants in poor areas don't make it for this very reason. I worked in a part of South Dallas for a while that was like going to war. That restaurant isn't there anymore. They couldn't keep any wait staff. If you dont tip, dont expect superb service, its part of society. A bartender, waiter, valet, taxidriver, pizzadeliveryman are tipped people and many more. If you dont tip then you shouldnt partake. It gives the waiter the ambition to go above and beyond. I didnt make the rules or set up society but its the world we live in. If I cant tip, I get it to go.

TexasBred":7bb8w5gm said:
How about strippers and pole dancers??? Any big tippers here?? :lol: :lol: :lol2:

Oh yea! :p :p , I always tip at my strip clubs! Only problem is while I try to be generous by giving them multiple tips every dance, I seem to have a couple huge guys grab me and throw me out the door and face down on the sidewalk every time. :shock: I throw at least 6 or 8 quarters every dance, I try not to hit them in the head....

RanchMan90":38fqvzyb said:
Lol that's called making it hail, not making it rain.
Alan didn't get ejected for throwing the quarters--he probably got thrown out for tryin to put 'em in the slot. :hide:

I try not to eat out. Just about don't, when I'm in town. Just came in from a week on the road. Ate out 2 meals a day. Had terrible service the whole entire time. If my glass is kept full, im tickled to death. One waitress, at breakfast made me feel like she was actually trying. My bill was $6 and some change, and I left a 5 dollar bill. All other meals, I left one dollar. That was begrudgingly, but I realize they have bill to pay. In some instances, I felt like I was doing the waitress a disservice by even leaving a tip.

Alan":gp740p8p said:
TexasBred":gp740p8p said:
How about strippers and pole dancers??? Any big tippers here?? :lol: :lol: :lol2:

Oh yea! :p :p , I always tip at my strip clubs! Only problem is while I try to be generous by giving them multiple tips every dance, I seem to have a couple huge guys grab me and throw me out the door and face down on the sidewalk every time. :shock: I throw at least 6 or 8 quarters every dance, I try not to hit them in the head....

Alan, whats the joke about everytime you see a dollar bill that's been folded in half from end to end you wonder if yesterday it was in a strippers crack. :lol: :lol2:

Alan":26ihp8ak said:
TexasBred":26ihp8ak said:

This is a thing in Canada.
http://www.vice.com/read/the-messed-up- ... -strippers

Bestoutwest":11hvzchj said:
Alan":11hvzchj said:
TexasBred":11hvzchj said:

This is a thing in Canada.
http://www.vice.com/read/the-messed-up- ... -strippers

You just killed the thread. :lol: :lol:

Here is an example of how service has been lately for my wife and I. (We were not with the 4 kids, so it was a "quiet" meal):

After being seated, we waited about 7 minutes to have anyone from the wait staff greet us. We ordered drinks and an appetizer. 5 minutes later, came to take our order and brought dinner rolls. Finished those off, and our tea; I was getting ready to take a picture of my empty glass for this thread, when the waitress came and refilled my glass. Once this happened, I asked my wife if she wanted to take a bet on if our dinner would arrive before or after the appetizer.
Appetizer arrived, we talked and finished that off. Waitress took that (after we piled the app plates and the dish together for easy removal), then patiently waited for our meal. Manager comes out, and gives his speech about it is taking a little longer than normal tonight, and he was sorry. Then said there was a new cook and put the wrong sauce on my dish. Asked if we wanted a soup while we waited, we declined. Dinner was out before manager could be 10 feet from us (no reason for soup while we waited if it was that close). Person that brought food said again, new person in kitchen, blah, blah, blah. Waitress finally shows back up, never apologizing for the kitchen, we know it was not her fault, but could've been more PROACTIVE in letting us know. When I got the bill, not even our drinks were comped. I told the wife that I guess since we didn't take them up on their soup offer, we passed on getting anything in return for their mess up.
For taking so long on getting to us, taking a long time filling our drinks, letting us know about our order, and the amount of times she came right along the table when my card was at the edge waiting for her to run it, I still gave a 10% tip. The mess up in the kitchen was not her fault, but the others were. I had a hard time trying to justify 10% with the service we had.

I've been to Alberta and had fun there, imagine that. But somethings are better left untold.
A poor waitress is because of poor management practices.

greatgerts":1o5mxef2 said:
Here is an example of how service has been lately for my wife and I. (We were not with the 4 kids, so it was a "quiet" meal):

After being seated, we waited about 7 minutes to have anyone from the wait staff greet us. We ordered drinks and an appetizer. 5 minutes later, came to take our order and brought dinner rolls. Finished those off, and our tea; I was getting ready to take a picture of my empty glass for this thread, when the waitress came and refilled my glass. Once this happened, I asked my wife if she wanted to take a bet on if our dinner would arrive before or after the appetizer.
Appetizer arrived, we talked and finished that off. Waitress took that (after we piled the app plates and the dish together for easy removal), then patiently waited for our meal. Manager comes out, and gives his speech about it is taking a little longer than normal tonight, and he was sorry. Then said there was a new cook and put the wrong sauce on my dish. Asked if we wanted a soup while we waited, we declined. Dinner was out before manager could be 10 feet from us (no reason for soup while we waited if it was that close). Person that brought food said again, new person in kitchen, blah, blah, blah. Waitress finally shows back up, never apologizing for the kitchen, we know it was not her fault, but could've been more PROACTIVE in letting us know. When I got the bill, not even our drinks were comped. I told the wife that I guess since we didn't take them up on their soup offer, we passed on getting anything in return for their mess up.
For taking so long on getting to us, taking a long time filling our drinks, letting us know about our order, and the amount of times she came right along the table when my card was at the edge waiting for her to run it, I still gave a 10% tip. The mess up in the kitchen was not her fault, but the others were. I had a hard time trying to justify 10% with the service we had.

Good for your tip and your difficulty justifying a 10% tip. When we're in that situation I usually don't even try to calculate the tip, I just drop one or two dollars on the table. hopefully the message the service provider gets is they need to step up service not I'm a cheap jerk. As with any job I find your reminded over and over again something is wrong with your performance it's time for a new line of work.

I'm not very good with tip jars at the cash register. Local doughnut shop has one at the register when all they do is hand you their product. They are being paid at least minimum wage and not doing anything extra for me so I don't tip in that situation.

slick4591":9qgk1na5 said:
I'm not very good with tip jars at the cash register. Local doughnut shop has one at the register when all they do is hand you their product. They are being paid at least minimum wage and not doing anything extra for me so I don't tip in that situation.

I don't like the tip jars like that, it's almost offensive. The little country store/gas station here has one next to the register. It's a convenience store, they sell you a pop or beer and a bag of chips. They do have a "warm deli" case, hot dogs and burritos and such, but that's even serve yourself and pay up front. Just what is it I'm supposed to be tipping for?

Alan":1s3lneks said:
slick4591":1s3lneks said:

I don't like the tip jars like that, it's almost offensive. The little country store/gas station here has one next to the register. It's a convenience store, they sell you a pop or beer and a bag of chips. They do have a "warm deli" case, hot dogs and burritos and such, but that's even serve yourself and pay up front. Just what is it I'm supposed to be tipping for?
Around here, I'd say their annual trip back to Saudi Arabia for Haji?

Latest posts