How much do you spend on Christmas gifts?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jackson

Reaction score
My wife and I agreed not to buy gifts for one another but I know she will get me something so I better do the same. We don't have kids yet so just buying for her. I have no idea what she will get me so I don't know how much I should spend on a gift. Geez why does everything have to be difficult. Do yall go all out on presents for the wife and kids on Christmas?

Well if you start now you will always have to. We say nothing for each other but I try to give her something small 50 bucks or less . Even if it's just taking her out for supper and something. Kids are grown give them each 200.00 spend about 100 each on grand kids.

Jackson":14ky5a9u said:
My wife and I agreed not to buy gifts for one another but I know she will get me something so I better do the same. We don't have kids yet so just buying for her. I have no idea what she will get me so I don't know how much I should spend on a gift. Geez why does everything have to be difficult. Do yall go all out on presents for the wife and kids on Christmas?

Some years yes some no.. few years ago spent enough to buy a nice used truck most years grand or so

Part of why a truely hate Christmas. I checked out of the whole process many years ago.

What a dilemma!.. I'd suggest something useful and of good quality... warm boots, jackets, etc if you're in a cold area, or something you can both enjoy (reduces guilt if she lives up to the agreement if she in fact got you nothing)... new couch, TV, or whatnot
just some ideas :)

How much do we spend if you count ten grandkids that I would like to disinherit this time of year along with the kids and outlaws at a hundred a pop way too damn much IMOO. This is a battle that I can not win.
As far as the Mrs what ever she wants is fine by me
With Amazon I am on a first name basis with the UPS driver

It's not how much you spend but what you buy. Something meaningful that shows you know her & listen to her. Best Christmas gift from my husband was a white lab puppy (who just turned 11). Worst gift was a very expensive piece of jewelry that was NOT my taste - clearly he panicked the day before Christmas & bought whatever the sales person was pushing.

Epic fail whenever I try to buy gifts for kids/grand kids so I write them a fat check & call it good.

We go to Whataburger on Christmas eve and have a gourmet meal. Been doing it for years. We quit buying gifts several years ago. We give money to the kids and grandkids and that adds up but they're worth it.

My wife don't usually buy each other anything, on any occasion-birthdays, anniversary, Christmas. This year we did.

She has been invaluable in taking up the slack in keeping heifers fed/checked and cows checked when I have had to go in early or stay late on a job. Her insulated bibs were starting to fit a little tighter, they are about ten years old, and I imagine had lost quite a bit of their effectiveness due to fit. Bought a new pair of Carhartt bibs and a sock cap with bill big enough that she can put it over a second sock cap. She loved them.

We were at the farm late one evening trying to check them on the four wheeler with a light and the spotlight went out. She bought me a good Larson LED spotlight.

We were both tickled.

Some years a lot, some years not much. Among my siblings and their spouses and kids here, years ago we all decided we had too much 'stuff' anyway so we just do the white elephant gag gift thing--where we can opt to steal each other's gift.
Wife and I this year are sharing a gift we both want--a good treadmill to go with the exer-cycle we've had since my heart surgery last year.
My kids and grandkids just get nominal amount in gift cards--they're scattered all over the US. (I'm supposed to walk 3 continuous miles each day)

My boys are grown so I have quit buying for them.
My daughter is 17 and my only hope of staying out of an old folks home so whatever she wants
Fortunately for me she doesn't want a lot and inherited the frugal gene

Me and my wife don't buy for each other. We get pretty much anything we want within reason throughout the year. We spent $100 each on the kids. Hundred bucks don't buy much anymore. :shock:

We usually don't do much for Christmas gifts, but the house is fully decorated for Santa's deer to look at I guess. It's really unbelievable how much fun my wife and daughter have had decorating the house and baking cookies. This time of year they call me grinch instead of grumpy. My turn at buying gifts will come sometime after Christmas, I'll take the whole family to Macon and spend the day paying the bills, and sitting on a bench in a mall watching how crazy people really are.

Oh, by the way, MERRY CHRISTMAS

I enjoy the holidays so I don't want to sound like the grinch. It's been just me and my wife for several years now, youngest son I is almost 30, if we want something bad enough anytime of the year we simply buy it. So we haven't given each other gifts for xmas or b day gifts for years, we're fine with that. We have two granddaughters so we spend a total of $25 each on them. Xmas for us is $50, we'll closer to $60 due to the two xmas cards to put the Amazon gift certificates in. After a few years of buying them the hot toy for the year our choosing off a list provided and having them exchange the gifts due to duplicate gifts or it's the wrong color, etc., their dad suggested gift card so they can do their own shopping....great suggestion. I enjoy xmas, low stress, no shopping, I just get to enjoy the holiday treats and decorations of others...... no clean up.

No dollar limit here but we don't buy each other stuff unless its something we need. I have holes in my pants and they are about wore out so I expect to be getting some new pants. I bought her something she mentioned needing a few months ago. Didn't cost much but she needs it. We will spend more on others both family and outside the family.

Wife and I stopped swapping a few years back.
Daughter gets a 100 bill.
Son in Law and older grand kids get a 50 dollar bill.
Younger grand kids get whatever the wife buys them.

This year we decided to play one of those gift exchanges where you can steal from one another. Supposed to be a $20 limit but since my brother makes knives I spent a bit more and bought a nice one from him to throw in.

We have 9 kids, all married with children, so every year we take a cow and make the whole animal into hamburger. That hamburger is their Christmas gift. Always the perfect size, color and model. We are not too imaginative. Grand kids get additional gifts. farmguy

Latest posts