How much do you feed per winter?

Help Support CattleToday:

I would dare say High Grit that there are some folks in the Midwest that might dispute that conclusion.. Its not about gross profits, its net income.. I now many savy cattlemen in my area that have said that they had gotten too big. They have reduced numbers and at the end of the year most say they will make the same amout of money with less cattle.

I'll be the first to dispute that claim. Real quick math tells me that the drought coupled with lower cattle prices, higher hay prices, and feed prices cut into my net income by about $8,000. I'm hoping to make money this year still but have planned for the worst case scenario of breaking even and keeping all my cattle.

I was able to find not only my winter's hay but a couple of extra months at reasonable prices and also bought a few ton of DDG's ahead of this most recent huge price swing. I was also able to lease another 50 acres or I would have already sold some if not the majority of my cows. I'm small time no doubt but their have been tons of sell outs around here so I would say it will be mighty hard to make it this year.

Depends on how much rain we have had going into winter. but when figuring on how much i want for a winter i plan on feeding from the first of november and all of march it doesen't allways take that much but thats what i like to have. i make a 4x5 thats about 900 pounds and feed one per about 30 cows a day.

I plan on feeding Nov. thru March. Usually 5 5x5 bales per cow/calf. It's the cheapest feed I have and they get very little anything else besides mineral.

I figure 3 rolls per cow for the winter. And there's no time better than now to sell cows for a profit. You don't carry them on feed or hay when the cattle price is high. I have had to sell cows when the price was dirt low, because of no rain.
And I will again that's just life, but it's sure nice to have to sell when the market is high.

3-4 4x5 bales per cow plus liquid feed or 20% cubes starting around the middle of November thru March.Because of the drought I've already fed 5-6 bales and have 22% vitalix tubs out.I try to keep a salt,mineral and auromycin mix in the trough all year long.

snake67":iigoew6t said:
Never noticed I did not have the location up and running - it is now - am a looong ways from your part of the world. Was down in Ft Hood about two or three weeks ago - hot there

Stay safe

Bez
Yeah it was really hot about that time but has cooled down some...low to mid 90's . At least we've had some moisture this year. :clap: