How much do I bottle feed new calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I need Help ( actually, the calf may need more help) :?

We were giving a half dead calf that was orphaned by her mother. She is a twin and wasn't as strong as her brother. Well, shes up and running and we are feeding her 2 x's a day / 2 quarts per feeding with a supplement. Is this right? She is SOOO much better than she was, but she acts like she is STARVING after she finishes a full bottle. Should I feed her until she's full?

Did it get any colostrum from the mother that is very important. I would 1 quart 4 times a day for the first few days then 2 quarts 2 times a day, when first born they eat small amounts more often then start eating larger amounts less often.

I'm currently bottling a rather expensive two week old calf. Mother is a first calf heifer that wouldn't dialate during labour, so needed a c-section. To add insult to injury, didn't milk worth beans and kicked the everliving out of her calf. He is currently drinking 4 quarts of calf formula milk replacer 3 times a day and is gaining well. It's not unusual for them to act like they need more when they finish a bottle. I don't think that the 'belly is full' message gets to that brain very quickly. Just my opinion, not bible, that's for darn sure.

Take care.

Contrary to popular opinion, the folks that formulate milk replacer know what they're doing. The replacer is formulated to provide basicly proper nutrition with 2x 2 quart feeding. For small calves 1 1/12 2x may be more correct, 2 1/2-3 2x for calves over 100 lbs is about right. Calves will alwasy act hungry, just the nature of the beast. Introduce small amounts of a high quality caf starter grain. Bottle calves, if eating a minimum of 2 lbs a day of calf starter can and should be weaned at around 8 weeks. The key to bottle feeding is a milk replacer that is made of milk and milk byproducts rather then plant based.
Millions of dairy calves are raised this way every year and they grow well and turn out to be excellent mature cows.

dun

edith":18mpxt9d said:
I need Help ( actually, the calf may need more help) :?

We were giving a half dead calf that was orphaned by her mother. She is a twin and wasn't as strong as her brother. Well, shes up and running and we are feeding her 2 x's a day / 2 quarts per feeding with a supplement. Is this right? She is SOOO much better than she was, but she acts like she is STARVING after she finishes a full bottle. Should I feed her until she's full?

Latest posts