How much corn is to much corn for a cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
I bought 10 THIN bred cows yesterday and they were apparently fed alot of corn, my trailer had alot of whole corn crap in it. I have them on hay only any other ideas? I'm planning on worming them with a pour on tomorrow and give them ear tags, and in 2 weeks reworm and give all my normal vaccinations. Everyone was up when I checked them today, so I put some mineral blocks in with them for entertainment. I'd like to start them on some sweet feed, and a WCS corn feed ASAP, just not sure when?

I would give good grass/hay and worm with an injectable wormer and if you so choose a pour on too. and vaccinate now why wait? Personally I wouldn't give feed for a month but maybe some sweet feed to get them use to you as a treat. I am no expert but that's what I have been doing. It may not be the right thing to do but I feed jumpstart to thin cattle mixed with commodity blend till they get in better shape then they get a lot of minerals DDG and brewers grain.

I'm worried about shocking the cows system using a injectable wormer right off the bat. And my thoughts on waiting to give Triangle 10 and Calvary 9 is I don't want to chance aborting a callf. These are the first poor cows that I've ever messed with and don't want to screw up.

Stress of shipping, change of diet and environment, already thin = wait 10 days before adding additional stresses such as injectable wormers and vaccinating. I usually wait and keep an eye on them 8-18 days.

True Grit Farms":1fiu4tdo said:
I'm worried about shocking the cows system using a injectable wormer right off the bat. And my thoughts on waiting to give Triangle 10 and Calvary 9 is I don't want to chance aborting a callf. These are the first poor cows that I've ever messed with and don't want to screw up.

I have zero science to this claim.
But I do believe that I have killed wormy cattle by giving a heavy dose of wormer. I have also seen something similar happened with someone elses cow at the vet. I would start with safeguard. Personally.

I will sit quietly and be corrected if I'm wrong.

But that's what I believe happen. Whatever you use I would ease em in.
For the first couple weeks just give em better than they had. I would stick with some good grass hay or pasture. Then go on with feed after a few weeks. Favoring the wcs .
After they start to seem right. Work em good.

Here's those fancy cows. I'm going to hold them in the pen for one more day and then give them a little pasture. I think I'll go slow with them thanks everyone.

True Grit Farms":2ogbjp7w said:

Here's those fancy cows. I'm going to hold them in the pen for one more day and then give them a little pasture. I think I'll go slow with them thanks everyone.
Those don't even have a rib showing. No special treatment required :2cents:

That white one in the back is really thin, the ones in the foreground don't need much special attention.. some decent grass and they'll come back fine.. I'm going to guess their calves got weaned recently?

Green grass or decent hay and clean water should be all they need. They've had a calf pulled off of them taking a lot of the nutritional demand off them.

There's money in bred cows if bought right but you won't find it in the bottom of a feed sack.

skyhightree1":3rn6dcwl said:
I Always inject worm soon as home nothing bad yet has happened but safeguard may not be a bad idea

You can kill em if they have grubs in the nervous system - but this time of year that shouldn't be the case.

I wouldn't invest any more money in em...let em eat for a month and then weed out the culls and worm em shoot em up then

True Grit Farms":zbqt9ehd said:
bird dog":zbqt9ehd said:
You might want to give them a shot of Multi-Min.

Thanks, I just happen to have a 500 ml bottle, best stuff going can't believe I missed that.
A little thin but look strong. Give them a few days to rest and settle in then run them through the chute to worm and vaccinate. They'll be fine.

A week to 10 days nothing but all the good grass hay they can eat. Get their gut working good. Shot of multi-min. Then after a week or so, maybe a worming but I really would do fecals and see. They might just need some roughage to get them filled up first. Any vaccinations would be killed virus.

Latest posts