How much corn for my minis?

Help Support CattleToday:

sueannbelmont

Reaction score
We own two minis who are about a year and a half old. Up until now they have had free choice hay. They are starting to ask for more hay all of the time and going through a lot. I think it is time to increase their grain. We feed them cracked corn. How do we calculate the right amount to feed them per day?

Are they going to be beef or pets?
Oh, thanks for asking. I meant to put that these are pets.

We own two minis who are about a year and a half old. Up until now they have had free choice hay. They are starting to ask for more hay all of the time and going through a lot. I think it is time to increase their grain. We feed them cracked corn. How do we calculate the right amount to feed them per day?
I forgot to add (is there no way to edit a post?): These are steers and they are just pets.

Do you think they need it? A lot depends on how much they are getting from the paddock. Steers as pets will tend to get overly fat. Most cattle will ask for more no matter how well fed they are, they know when they are onto a good thing.

Ken
Unless your hay is not good hay should be all they need. As stated they will get overly fat. And if you feed about 3% of their body weight in good hay they will be fine.

First, y'all shut up, lol! I've been breeding Mini Zebu for 20 years (do the math, 85# weaned heifer, grass and mama only: $1500 up, ha ha). Every dang one a pet, I have a day job. Switching to big Zebu/Mini Zebu X, very rare, way more docile, more $$$. I had a bigwig from Cargill tell me years ago—skinny cow 3% TDN, maintenance 2% TDN, fat cow 1% TDN. With any minis, a fat cow is beyond bad—fertility, space in the uterus, calving, feet and legs. And you can't get the weight off.

Mini what? Show us a picture. Do you know how to Body Condition Score them? If you can see their spine or ribs, they may be thin. Remember, you have to look THROUGH their hair. Hair can make them look thicker/fuller than what they really are.