How much corn for my minis?

Help Support CattleToday:

sueannbelmont

Reaction score
We own two minis who are about a year and a half old. Up until now they have had free choice hay. They are starting to ask for more hay all of the time and going through a lot. I think it is time to increase their grain. We feed them cracked corn. How do we calculate the right amount to feed them per day?

OP
S

sueannbelmont

Reaction score
Are they going to be beef or pets?
Oh, thanks for asking. I meant to put that these are pets.

We own two minis who are about a year and a half old. Up until now they have had free choice hay. They are starting to ask for more hay all of the time and going through a lot. I think it is time to increase their grain. We feed them cracked corn. How do we calculate the right amount to feed them per day?
I forgot to add (is there no way to edit a post?): These are steers and they are just pets.

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Do you think they need it? A lot depends on how much they are getting from the paddock. Steers as pets will tend to get overly fat. Most cattle will ask for more no matter how well fed they are, they know when they are onto a good thing.

Ken
Unless your hay is not good hay should be all they need. As stated they will get overly fat. And if you feed about 3% of their body weight in good hay they will be fine.

Latest posts