How much brahma

Help Support CattleToday:

We went to a program one time the speaker was a feed lot manager. He said he wanted a little ear in all of his calves but just a little 3/16 sounds about right to me, but I don't have much experience with eared cattle.

gizmom

You'd be ok with that amount, I don't want anymore than a 1/4 influence in my calves.. But phenotypically there's not much difference in those amounts, when dealing with Brahman ive seen 50 percents that look like 1/4 bloods,,and vice versa... Depends on parents...a little Brahman goes a long way...I've dealt with Brahman along time,not a expert , you might have seen my camels traveling home, few years ago...:lol:

I sell several calves that come in at 1/4, and a few that are 3/16. Not much difference in the two, that I see. Seems to be a lot choices out there for Bulls with tighter skins nowadays. I raised a couple Bulls to use next spring. I'm getting the itch to double down on my eared influence, and buy a bull. I've been seeing some brangus Bulls around with pretty tight dew laps and pizzles.

If you have English or continental bred cows, I'd say use a brangus bull as that will put about the right amount of Brahman blood into the calves. Shouldn't get nailed hard on the steers and the heifers should work great for commercial mamas.

Best way to go is to have an F1 herd and use a line bred bull to get the 1/4 calves. You will get the consistency and the heterosis.

I am waiting on 100 2 year old heifers to calve that are1/8 Brahman. They are not as heat tolerant as an F1, but a lot less sass.

Latest posts