How much better are funnel type round bale feeders?

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb":3t6ov4xn said:
If you do end up making one yourself consider this suggestion. Have the feeder split open on hinges as if you were opening a door. No need to lift bales,all you do is spear bale and drive it into feeder,deposit and then close feeder. That is of cause applicable to the round feeders you refer to in your first thread.

Alison, interesting you bring this up. Just today I was looking at a locally made feeder which has exactly this. Hmm.... this might let me get away without putting money into purchasing a hay spear for my front end loader! I've got one for my 3pt hitch which ought to let me place the bales in this feeder I think.

Here it is: http://www.brusselsagri.com/online_stor ... duct_id=15

That said, do I really want to go with an idea that prevents me from buying more toys for my tractor? Really though, all money saving ideas are good as I am spending WAY more than I ever anticipated getting this little hobby herd started.

Jeanne: Thanks for posting that study. Rings doing better than cradle feeders surprises me. I wonder how they would have compared if the cradles had slanted bars as their rings did.

I too would find it surprising if keeping the bale off the ground didn't help in climates like mine where the bale sits on snow in a ring, vs off the ground in a cradle.

canoetrpr":m0vrkuic said:
Jeanne: Thanks for posting that study. Rings doing better than cradle feeders surprises me. I wonder how they would have compared if the cradles had slanted bars as their rings did.

I too would find it surprising if keeping the bale off the ground didn't help in climates like mine where the bale sits on snow in a ring, vs off the ground in a cradle.
Yes, the trailer & cradle are considerable worse than the cone or ring type.
Of course, in the study, they gathered up all the hay on the ground each day? I believe. We let our mature cows run out of hay so they spend time cleaning up what they would have wasted. Yes, at that time they push the ring feeder over the main hay pile & eat what they can pick out. When the ground is frozen (especially when snow covered) there is literally very little hay wasted.
When we are in mud (I hate to think about that right now - we're frozen now! :banana: ) anyway, that's when we get the most waste. I think the skirts help a lot on the ring feeders.

alisonb":2tt9xvj0 said:
canoetrpr":2tt9xvj0 said:
I have been feeling guilty recently that my lovely Millermatic has been sitting unused and this might a project I ought to take on. Heck I've been wondering if I should sell the darn thing since I haven't used it in months. I'm no expert at welding but practise is what is necessary.
If you do end up making one yourself consider this suggestion. Have the feeder split open on hinges as if you were opening a door. No need to lift bales,all you do is spear bale and drive it into feeder,deposit and then close feeder. That is of cause applicable to the round feeders you refer to in your first thread.

I think this post is a good example of differing environments on CT Board. I sure would not relish the idea of getting off the tractor and ATTEMPT to hinge a hayring together this time of yr. in Mid TN. I don't know that I could do it. If I did, afterward an industrious dung roller would try to roll me away.

Cowdirt":1uqwt7z6 said:
I sure would not relish the idea of getting off the tractor and ATTEMPT to hinge a hayring together this time of yr. in Mid TN. I don't know that I could do it. If I did, afterward an industrious dung roller would try to roll me away.
:lol: :lol: How about a remote control!! :lol:

Cowdirt":cyxh2wwm said:
alisonb":cyxh2wwm said:
canoetrpr":cyxh2wwm said:
I have been feeling guilty recently that my lovely Millermatic has been sitting unused and this might a project I ought to take on. Heck I've been wondering if I should sell the darn thing since I haven't used it in months. I'm no expert at welding but practise is what is necessary.

I think this post is a good example of differing environments on CT Board. I sure would not relish the idea of getting off the tractor and ATTEMPT to hinge a hayring together this time of yr. in Mid TN. I don't know that I could do it. If I did, afterward an industrious dung roller would try to roll me away.
:lol: :lol: I'm visualizing!!! :banana:

alisonb":22mz831b said:
Cowdirt":22mz831b said:
I sure would not relish the idea of getting off the tractor and ATTEMPT to hinge a hayring together this time of yr. in Mid TN. I don't know that I could do it. If I did, afterward an industrious dung roller would try to roll me away.
:lol: :lol: How about a remote control!! :lol:
AC has one but he won;t rent her out

Latest posts