how much beef can a beef cow eat if a beefcow could eat beef

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

:cboy: how much does a cow have to wiegh befor it is too heavie to walk. What would you say is a good wieght for a cow. :?: :?: :?: If anyone has an :idea: please tell me

There was something on tv the other day and the largest bovine in the world is a Holstein Steer that weighes 4160#

Different people prefer different weights for cows. There are several guys in my area who farm cows with primarily Simm-Charolais breeding. The herd average weight would be 2000+ lbs for cows. They are absolutely huge and I'd hate to be feeding them, but they produce real big calves. My personal preference would be somewhere around 1200 lbs as they are fairly feed efficient but still wean a 450-550 lb calf each year.

You mean to tell me you can't recognize a donkey when you see one?? I mean after all it sounds just like you. No just joking. I have to much dignity for donkeys to give them a bad name.
Ellie May

Cattle Rack Rancher":2o0e4rrz said:
Ellie May
What is that sorry looking thing you've got for an avatar. Must be one of those Braunviehs I've been hearing so much about :lol:

Got an education now Is that what a Braunvieh looks like ? I'll pass think I will stick to the sorry old Herefords

Jake":25bjkake said:
There was something on tv the other day and the largest bovine in the world is a Holstein Steer that weighes 4160#

What? I'm not doubting your word Jake, but if anybody knows anything about that I'd sure like to see it.

NCSU Maverick":3hs1ap86 said:
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/news/video/New Content 5.html

I looked it up myself. That is unbelievable

Yeah, ive seen bulls at 2300 plus and that angus bull Gridmaker is 2500 I believe but i had never heard of anything even over 3000

I looked to wow the largest I had ever heard of until now is the Hereford in the below post

Herefords in the 1700's and early 1800's in England were much larger than today. Many mature Herefords of those days weighed 3,000 pounds or more. Cotmore, a winning show bull and noteworthy sire, weighed 3,900 pounds when shown in 1839. Gradually, the type and conformation changed to less extreme size and weight to get more smoothness, quality and efficiency

^I always thought herefords used to be smaller, but this idea was always based on the movie "Rare Breed" with jimmy stewart. The herefords in that movie were a lot smaller than they are today but I guess that's what I get for believing what I see in the movies.

I guess they were originally big then maybe they shrunk due to imbreeding (line breeding) then maybe we have pulled them back up with genetics. This is just me thinking out loud. Anybody got any more info?

NCSU Maverick":1t0i5qx1 said:
^I always thought herefords used to be smaller, but this idea was always based on the movie "Rare Breed" with jimmy stewart. The herefords in that movie were a lot smaller than they are today but I guess that's what I get for believing what I see in the movies.

I guess they were originally big then maybe they shrunk due to imbreeding (line breeding) then maybe we have pulled them back up with genetics. This is just me thinking out loud. Anybody got any more info?

You are correct on the line breeding was from two bulls of the Miles city line. The bulls were Advance Domino 20th and Advance Donino 54th were put with 58 registered cows. Then the line was closed until 200 head. Their was also 13 other closed lines established.

Campground Cattle":3k63kjsp said:
NCSU Maverick":3k63kjsp said:

You are correct on the line breeding was from two bulls of the Miles city line. The bulls were Advance Domino 20th and Advance Donino 54th were put with 58 registered cows. Then the line was closed until 200 head. Their was also 13 other closed lines established.
All of the British Breeds were quiet a lot smaller pre 1970 than what they are today. There was a time in the 1940's until in the 1960's that a mature 1200 to 1400 lb bull bull was considered big.

Latest posts