How much are my cows worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

shanahanowski

Reaction score
This might be kind of a lenghthy question . . . but you know how a mind works????
I have 3 registered limi cows, 1 limi-flex bull, 1 lim-flex steer and 2 angus cross first time heifers. All are very gentle, shoot you can pet them all, which I'm sure annoys some folks.
The 2 limi cows have calved unassisted their first time and weigh pro'ly 1500lbs?? The other limi cow is a Mainstay Feb. heifer at a weight of 700lbs???
My lim-flex steer is a May bull @ maybe 400lbs??? And then my lim-flex bull is . . . oh gosh you ready for this??? He's a bucket calf that was given to me. He's a twin and his mom hurt his leg and the owners said 'get rid of him', if you know what I mean. He has healed GREAT and running with the cows and fine.
Interested in y'alls input and again . . . how much are they worth??? :?: :?: :?:

Advertise them and see what offers you get. You don't have to sell just talk to people on the phone and get offers. It would be wasting other peoples time but who cares about other people?

shanahanowski":1dyhamxb said:
This might be kind of a lenghthy question . . . but you know how a mind works????
I have 3 registered limi cows, 1 limi-flex bull, 1 lim-flex steer and 2 angus cross first time heifers. All are very gentle, shoot you can pet them all, which I'm sure annoys some folks.
The 2 limi cows have calved unassisted their first time and weigh pro'ly 1500lbs?? The other limi cow is a Mainstay Feb. heifer at a weight of 700lbs???
My lim-flex steer is a May bull @ maybe 400lbs??? And then my lim-flex bull is . . . oh gosh you ready for this??? He's a bucket calf that was given to me. He's a twin and his mom hurt his leg and the owners said 'get rid of him', if you know what I mean. He has healed GREAT and running with the cows and fine.
Interested in y'alls input and again . . . how much are they worth??? :?: :?: :?:

You need to get out to some registered Limi sales and see what cattle like yours are selling for. What sells for $1500 in your region might not be worth $1000 in mine. Are they in good condition? What's their breeding? Do you want to sell them? Contact your Limousin rep and see if he knows someone wanting to buy a small herd.

auctionboy":290so93n said:
Advertise them and see what offers you get. You don't have to sell just talk to people on the phone and get offers. It would be wasting other peoples time but who cares about other people?

Good advice :D
I think, however, some people would like to share there multitude of experience about cattle with the unknowing. :heart:

shanahanowski":3skkqorl said:
I think, however, some people would like to share there multitude of experience about cattle with the unknowing. :heart:

Do they have a straight back, long hip, good udder and good BCS. Got any pictures? If they are good cows, they'll fetch a few more nickels at the sale barn. Right now cattle aren't bringing as much as they were. Wait until spring and they'll probably be worth more.

Every one of us on this board live in different regions and we prefer cattle suited for our climates. Living where I live, I prefer brangus. That's just me. I wouldn't bid on your cows. I do know some folks around that might, if they look like they could bring a return on the investment.

There may be someone (preferably two or three bidding against one another) looking for the exact cows you have at the sale barn. Then there are small time folks like me who are just looking for bargains.

Run them thru the sale barn. If you don't like the price you get, you can always PO them. And, that way you'll find out what anyone is willing to pay in your area.

Alice

Just load them up and take them to the salebarn. Before you unload them, ask the people who work there for their opinions. If you like what you hear, unload them and let them sell. If you do not like what they tell you just take them home.

cowspider":vvitw9ec said:
They are worth only as much as someone is willing to pay, not what you want. :cboy:

Exactly and that is everday salebarn price is what they are worth papers or not.
Not someone won't pay more but you ask there worth.

Caustic I agree with you.

IMO, I think it is only the big name ranches who make lots of money selling name brand cattle. They talk the little guy into buying these names claming they will make all this money. The little guy buys into it and tries to sell his like the big guys and can't get the prices. The buyers of said cattle want to go to XYZ BIG Ranch (so they can brag)and not Bubba down the road. Bottom line, the cattle, name brand or not will be turned into hamburger.

Probably opened a can of worms but oh well. I went through this with expensive horses that a "friend" talked (lied) me into.

Thanks Gate Opener
I think that can of worms needed to be opened and I think you're exactly right. Obviously, I'm Bubba down the road.
So what I'm gathering is I'm pro'ly not gonna get $15,000 half interest for my bucket bull calf. :D
Thanks for all the great advice!

Supply and demand....the animals have no sale value unless someone else wants them. Sort of like why the prices vary from sale to sale and season to season.
just my two bits worth....DMc