How much are Cow/Calf Pairs Worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

$350 Corriente pairs.
They'll freeze to death up here.

If you can buy open hfrs for 1500, and the pound cow mrkt holds. Sell an old cow this fall for $800. Now you only had to out lay $700 for a young cow that should be around for the next 8-10 years. Hopefully input costs will go down at some point, and by the time you cull her she's maybe made a little profit.

A couple weeks ago I bought 12 pairs with 125 pound calves. Older but not all of them broken mouth. They averaged weighing over 1,300. Paid $1,190. There was some that were full mouth cows from the same place. My limit was $1,300. They brought $1,300-1,325. I took them to my limit and the other guy got them.

I used to knock a horned cow said I'd never raise one then I bought a cheap longhorn and what she did changed me now I've got a pasture full of $350-$400 corriente cows most are raising or bred with their 3rd calf. All these calves in pasture now are off angus bull and he ain't even a high producing one he's a commercial bull that got out of neighbors pasture 3/4 times last year and made his way to my place neighbor sold him to me for kill prices. I will buy a beef cow but she's gonna have to be something special or cheap cause corriente cows require less and pay for themselves pretty quick
My angus/longhorn crosses wont bring anythign at the sale here. I had one 2 months ago 600lbs had horns and brought $180... I had some bred heifers about same size only brought $350/ea. Needless to say, I won't go back to that sale again. If I am going to get robbed I might as well get it done with the least amount of hauling...

My angus/longhorn crosses wont bring anythign at the sale here. I had one 2 months ago 600lbs had horns and brought $180... I had some bred heifers about same size only brought $350/ea.
Despite some claims on the internet, there's not much demand for Longhorns and Corrientes, therefore the prices are low. Unless you intend to butcher them all yourself, a better business plan would be to raise what the buyers want to buy.

My angus/longhorn crosses wont bring anythign at the sale here. I had one 2 months ago 600lbs had horns and brought $180... I had some bred heifers about same size only brought $350/ea. Needless to say, I won't go back to that sale again. If I am going to get robbed I might as well get it done with the least amount of hauling...
I sell mine at 350ish lbs and right off the cow. Gotta turn loose of them early.

Despite some claims on the internet, there's not much demand for Longhorns and Corrientes, therefore the prices are low. Unless you intend to butcher them all yourself, a better business plan would be to raise what the buyers want to buy.
The demand is actually going up ropers and potentials are up the breds are bringing a few bucks more also.

They got a good burger to. That's a plus
Fresh ground beef is hard to beat them, making good use of the downers...

In decades past, it was rumored that the old sale barn in Cleveland Tx killed and ground up cows that got snuck in with a B branded on it's jaw.
B=Bangs (brucellosis)

Fresh ground beef is hard to beat them, making good use of the downers...

In decades past, it was rumored that the old sale barn in Cleveland Tx killed and ground up cows that got snuck in with a B branded on it's jaw.
B=Bangs (brucellosis)
Charlie Morgan wouldn't do anything like that 🤫 BTW, if you are old enough to remember having Bang cows at the sale, you have probably eaten a burger made from one.

Charlie Morgan wouldn't do anything like that 🤫 BTW, if you are old enough to remember having Bang cows at the sale, you have probably eaten a burger made from one.
If I remember correctly all bangs cattle went to slaughter. No issues with the meat, just couldn't take them back home.

If I remember correctly all bangs cattle went to slaughter. No issues with the meat, just couldn't take them back home.

That's what I was thinking too.

I'm one of those people @BC was talking about who are old enough to remember back then. I got to help with testing cattle quite a few times, and then sorting out the bangers to send to the auction (where they'd brand the B on the jaw) after the results came back. I don't miss it.

That and your cattle were required to be checked at your place, and all bangs infected were sent to slaughter and the rest quarantined for a significant time.
They quarantined us here and since VA was trying to become a bangs free state we got the pleasure of having to send everything to slaughter, positive or not.. Guess what a 3 week old baby is worth to slaughter. Nothing.

Latest posts