How much Angus is to much?

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":2wgct1tr said:
Caustic Burno":2wgct1tr said:
Supa Dexta":2wgct1tr said:
Careful with the pounds pi$$in match or the canadians may show up.

Those cows would melt most of the worlds beef comes from sub tropical regions.
Got to remember most of the worlds cattle herd is bos indicus influenced with over 40% of the US cow herd.

And a lot of it is cooked in a cave on a stick. There's a good market for quality prime beef, and it doesn't have to be Kobe or Wagau, but it can't be Brahman.
Don't tell CB that. He just ordered a new set of store bought teeth to eat those brimmers with.

BC":2wpos070 said:
True Grit Farms":2wpos070 said:
Just because a breed of cattle does well in a certain environment, doesn't mean it's a good eating experience. CAB excels on the dinner plate as steaks, the southern heat tolerant breeds make great hamburgers. Finding a happy medium between the two is what I'm looking for.
CB, have you ever ate any venison from the corn belt? Venison from the corn belt has more of a beef flavor and is a more tender piece of meat. Open your eyes to the big picture, everyone isn't so lucky to be from the south.

Environmental adaptability is the first thing you should select for in a cow. Then select a bull that produces the kind of calf you are looking for. There are Santa Gertrudis and Brangus breeders selecting for improved carcass traits so don't let that stop you. A 3/8 blood bull (Gert or Brangus) on your English bred will produce a calf with less than 1/4 blood Brahman influence (actually 3/16). Buyers here will place those 3/16 influence calves right on the same orders as the best calves and never bat an eye.

What goes through an order buyers mind?
1) Does the calf fit an order I have?
2) What is the sex of the calf? Is it a bull, steer or heifer?
3)What is the estimated quality?
4) What does the calf weigh?
5) Is the calf the right color?
6) Does it fit my money?
It is all about perception AND it has to be done in 8 to 12 seconds. At nearly all the sales here, the cattle are weighed as they leave the ring so you have to be pretty good at estimating weight.

Check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBA_kHwf54c

One of the best post I ever read on this board.

Brute 23":22d3pubb said:
True Grit Farms":22d3pubb said:
We're an Angus based crossbred operation. I'm wanting to add some Brahma to the mix, will I get enough Brahman infuence using Brangus bulls? I plan on following the Brangus with Braford. Just wondering if I should go the Braford route first. The problem is I need to have some black calves for my commercial heifer sales. Everything you do in the cattle business takes a long time to see the results.

Im confused. Do you want to make Super Baldies or was the a Brahman bashing deal?

If you want awesome baldies go Brahman over Angus, the take the F1s back to Hereford.

No bashing Brute, but I need a 1/4 Brahman influence or less to sell replacement heifers around here for top money, and they really need to be black. I have enough Angus influence in my herd that I feel we'll have plenty of black calves even if I go the Braford route.

True Grit Farms":p60lop0p said:
Brute 23":p60lop0p said:
True Grit Farms":p60lop0p said:
We're an Angus based crossbred operation. I'm wanting to add some Brahma to the mix, will I get enough Brahman infuence using Brangus bulls? I plan on following the Brangus with Braford. Just wondering if I should go the Braford route first. The problem is I need to have some black calves for my commercial heifer sales. Everything you do in the cattle business takes a long time to see the results.

Im confused. Do you want to make Super Baldies or was the a Brahman bashing deal?

If you want awesome baldies go Brahman over Angus, the take the F1s back to Hereford.

No bashing Brute, but I need a 1/4 Brahman influence or less to sell replacement heifers around here for top money, and they really need to be black. I have enough Angus influence in my herd that I feel we'll have plenty of black calves even if I go the Braford route.

Ya go Brahman Bull to make F1s to put in your pasture. Then when you go back with Angus again you will have 1/4 to sell.

It will be harder to get uniform cattle going Brangus over your Angus.

Caustic Burno":1yjc7g7h said:
The above post is by a person that ran Brahman composites. Brangus wasn't it?
So you tried to post as a comedian .
Hilarious.
Yep ....sorry the joke got under your skin. Hopefully your new "falsies" didn't fall out. lolol.....smile CB

TexasBred":1epa3w9f said:
Caustic Burno":1epa3w9f said:
The above post is by a person that ran Brahman composites. Brangus wasn't it?
So you tried to post as a comedian .
Hilarious.
Yep ....sorry the joke got under your skin. Hopefully your new "falsies" didn't fall out. lolol.....smile CB

Not really as I feel sorry for you.
Your like a child crying for attention.

Gators Rule":18cvfdvz said:
Oh brother.... black Hereford, politics, and religion are already off limits....and now teeth need to be added to the "don't" list. Just for the record, my hang up is my baldness.

I resemble the baldness remark,still got all my teeth.

I must have missed that - Black Herefords are OFF the list?? Why, they are just black baldy's. Been around since the beginning of time (at least MY time!! LOL)
Seriously, have they actually gotten to be recognized as a BREED?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1jjvat81 said:
I must have missed that - Black Herefords are OFF the list?? Why, they are just black baldy's. Been around since the beginning of time (at least MY time!! LOL)
Seriously, have they actually gotten to be recognized as a BREED?

Jeanne they are no different than a black Simmi, a black limmi, etc in my opinion and that of most I've talked too. A person has to analyze each of them as a different breed than the original. I really like some of your cattle but they don't offer the same benefits the older Simmi's did. Not the growth or frame. Some of the Black Herefords are pretty solid cattle but I will likely never use one.

Latest posts