How much acreage per cow

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi,<br> My husband & I are new to this board. We have a total of almost 90 acres,but only 20 acres have been used for the cattle and the other is being sharecropped on.We have made a decision to make cattle part of our main source of our income.We live in another city but plan to move there in the next few years.We have 6 hereford heifers and a calve born on February 12 we haven't gotten close to see the sex yet.We just sold 5 bulls and one the older heifers.We did pretty good at the market for beginners.We are planning on increasing our herd slowly.We are going to buy another bull soon.I have a question how many cattle can we maintain on twenty acres that we are using right now?Eventually we will be turning some of the other land into pasture.Also we were told that breeding a black angus bull with a hereford heifer will be in more money and better beef.Is that true? Thanks in advance for your advance.<p>Kim
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

There should be a web site that would give info for folks that are new to raising cows... Maybe this one's it, but I haven't researched it in detail.. If I find a good site, I'll let you know. If folks that read this stuff were to help, that would be great.. <p>good luck<br>randy<p><br>: Hi,<br>: My husband & I are new to this board. We have a total of almost 90 acres,but only 20 acres have been used for the cattle and the other is being sharecropped on.We have made a decision to make cattle part of our main source of our income.We live in another city but plan to move there in the next few years.We have 6 hereford heifers and a calve born on February 12 we haven't gotten close to see the sex yet.We just sold 5 bulls and one the older heifers.We did pretty good at the market for beginners.We are planning on increasing our herd slowly.We are going to buy another bull soon.I have a question how many cattle can we maintain on twenty acres that we are using right now?Eventually we will be turning some of the other land into pasture.Also we were told that breeding a black angus bull with a hereford heifer will be in more money and better beef.Is that true? Thanks in advance for your advance.<p>: Kim<p>
<br>

[email protected]

You will find quite a bit of info on my web site for beginners, as well as a good links page.
<br>
<ul><li><a href="http://www.murraygrey.com">Rafter L Murray Greys</a></ul>

Good morning,<br>Thank you for all the information.And forgive me for not proof-reading.Have a blessed day!!<p>Kim
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":3nnafhzi said:
: There should be a web site that would give info for folks that are new to raising cows... Maybe this one's it, but I haven't researched it in detail.. If I find a good site, I'll let you know. If folks that read this stuff were to help, that would be great.. <p>: good luck<br>: randy<p>: <br>: : Hi,<br>: : My husband & I are new to this board. We have a total of almost 90 acres,but only 20 acres have been used for the cattle and the other is being sharecropped on.We have made a decision to make cattle part of our main source of our income.We live in another city but plan to move there in the next few years.We have 6 hereford heifers and a calve born on February 12 we haven't gotten close to see the sex yet.We just sold 5 bulls and one the older heifers.We did pretty good at the market for beginners.We are planning on increasing our herd slowly.We are going to buy another bull soon.I have a question how many cattle can we maintain on twenty acres that we are using right now?Eventually we will be turning some of the other land into pasture.Also we were told that breeding a black angus bull with a hereford heifer will be in more money and better beef.Is that true? Thanks in advance for your advance.<p>: : Kim<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":d9s47xge said:
: Hi,<br>: My husband & I are new to this board. We have a total of almost 90 acres,but only 20 acres have been used for the cattle and the other is being sharecropped on.We have made a decision to make cattle part of our main source of our income.We live in another city but plan to move there in the next few years.We have 6 hereford heifers and a calve born on February 12 we haven't gotten close to see the sex yet.We just sold 5 bulls and one the older heifers.We did pretty good at the market for beginners.We are planning on increasing our herd slowly.We are going to buy another bull soon.I have a question how many cattle can we maintain on twenty acres that we are using right now?Eventually we will be turning some of the other land into pasture.Also we were told that breeding a black angus bull with a hereford heifer will be in more money and better beef.Is that true? Thanks in advance for your advance.<p>: Kim<p>
<br>

(User Above)":19ylv717 said:
: : Hi,<br>: : My husband & I are new to this board. We have a total of almost 90 acres,but only 20 acres have been used for the cattle and the other is being sharecropped on.We have made a decision to make cattle part of our main source of our income.We live in another city but plan to move there in the next few years.We have 6 hereford heifers and a calve born on February 12 we haven't gotten close to see the sex yet.We just sold 5 bulls and one the older heifers.We did pretty good at the market for beginners.We are planning on increasing our herd slowly.We are going to buy another bull soon.I have a question how many cattle can we maintain on twenty acres that we are using right now?Eventually we will be turning some of the other land into pasture.Also we were told that breeding a black angus bull with a hereford heifer will be in more money and better beef.Is that true? Thanks in advance for your advance.<p>: : Kim<p><br>
<br>

(User Above)":2d02gpn3 said:
: : There should be a web site that would give info for folks that are new to raising cows... Maybe this one's it, but I haven't researched it in detail.. If I find a good site, I'll let you know. If folks that read this stuff were to help, that would be great.. <p>: : good luck<br>: : randy<p>: : <br>: : : Hi,<br>: : : My husband & I are new to this board. We have a total of almost 90 acres,but only 20 acres have been used for the cattle and the other is being sharecropped on.We have made a decision to make cattle part of our main source of our income.We live in another city but plan to move there in the next few years.We have 6 hereford heifers and a calve born on February 12 we haven't gotten close to see the sex yet.We just sold 5 bulls and one the older heifers.We did pretty good at the market for beginners.We are planning on increasing our herd slowly.We are going to buy another bull soon.I have a question how many cattle can we maintain on twenty acres that we are using right now?Eventually we will be turning some of the other land into pasture.Also we were told that breeding a black angus bull with a hereford heifer will be in more money and better beef.Is that true? Thanks in advance for your advance.<p>: : : Kim<p><br>
<br>

(User Above)":3s6vx31p said:
: : There should be a web site that would give info for folks that are new to raising cows... Maybe this one's it, but I haven't researched it in detail.. If I find a good site, I'll let you know. If folks that read this stuff were to help, that would be great.. <p>: : good luck<br>: : randy<p>: : <br>: : : Hi,<br>: : : My husband & I are new to this board. We have a total of almost 90 acres,but only 20 acres have been used for the cattle and the other is being sharecropped on.We have made a decision to make cattle part of our main source of our income.We live in another city but plan to move there in the next few years.We have 6 hereford heifers and a calve born on February 12 we haven't gotten close to see the sex yet.We just sold 5 bulls and one the older heifers.We did pretty good at the market for beginners.We are planning on increasing our herd slowly.We are going to buy another bull soon.I have a question how many cattle can we maintain on twenty acres that we are using right now?Eventually we will be turning some of the other land into pasture.Also we were told that breeding a black angus bull with a hereford heifer will be in more money and better beef.Is that true? Thanks in advance for your advance.<p>: : : Kim<p><br>the usual ratio is one cow per 5 acres<br>
<br>