How Masculine Should a Yearling Bull Be

Help Support CattleToday:

Allenw

Reaction score
How masculine should a yearling bull appear? Looking at sale catalogs some yearling bulls appear to lack masculinity. I expect them to have a certain amount of stoutness and bullish look. With out looking at them in person one can't be sure and I can't judge pictures.

How masculine should a yearling bull be?
Well to start, you shouldn't need to look at an ear tag to sort him from a group of steers. :D

Without being able to see them in person, a semen test would help as a yearling+ would not produce semen scoring
excellent or very good without having enough masculinity. Those lacking masculinity have trouble passing semen tests and usually only pass when scored on pass/fail grading system. Sort of a form follows function kind of thing.

This bull calf is four months old. He is beginning to show masculinity.
30ib229.jpg

Here is a yearling Grandmaster. He is about average.
v2uqls.jpg

Thanks the pictures of real world animals with out any prepping helps. I don't think I'm off track in what I'm expecting.

Son of Butch":13s1najr said:
How masculine should a yearling bull be?
Well to start, you shouldn't need to look at an ear tag to sort him from a group of steers. :D

Without being able to see them in person, a semen test would help as a yearling+ would not produce semen scoring
excellent or very good without having enough masculinity. Those lacking masculinity have trouble passing semen tests and usually only pass when scored on pass/fail grading system. Sort of a form follows function kind of thing.
Are you drunk again?? WTF.

This bull is just under 14 months old here. He passed a bse on Friday, weighed 1305.
52b5es.jpg

This boy is a late June, so a little over 8 months old. Took this on Saturday, he weighed 810 pounds:
20rtx1f.jpg

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1v95fg7a said:
Your 14 month old looks good, except it "appears" he has too much shoulder for me. Good depth, good muscling.

Yea, one of the reasons I hate photos. Here he is a few weeks ago, you can see he has smooth, pushed in shoulders (his head is small also). According to his EPD's, he should be calving ease too. He won the junior percentage bull show at state fair, and was reserve in his division in the open show as an 8 month old...
2z856yc.jpg

We buy quite a few yearling bulls from these folks, in fact 3 in this pen are ours, to be delivered in the spring. I think they show a proper amount of masculinity. These folks raise top notch cattle.

Silver":14iwgfjt said:
We buy quite a few yearling bulls from these folks, in fact 3 in this pen are ours, to be delivered in the spring. I think they show a proper amount of masculinity. These folks raise top notch cattle.

No mistaking those for steers.. They have the look..

TennesseeTuxedo":1tp75r41 said:
greatgerts":1tp75r41 said:

12 month old Gert bull.

I like him.

Thank you. I really like this young bull myself. He has not been pushed at all. I'm actually hoping to get him broke soon. The donkey may have her work cut out.

Silver":fk7dk9rb said:

Definitely bulls.

How much selection pressure for calving ease bulls in Canada? I've been thinking to much emphases on calving ease has had a negative effect on masculinity traits. Making all bulls "heifer" bulls shouldn't be the goal.

Allenw":2qjzt68c said:
How much selection pressure for calving ease bulls in Canada? I've been thinking to much emphases on calving ease has had a negative effect on masculinity traits. Making all bulls "heifer" bulls shouldn't be the goal.

I think calving ease emphasis varies widely from one producer to another. To some it is the primary focus. It's not my main concern, I'm happy with moderate. At this point in my life I don't mind putting in some extra work as long as we are not losing calves and hurting cows. Because we are barn calving in the cold weather calving ease it not a major concern of mine. If I were calving on a half section on grass I may well have a different take on things.
I agree with you on the over emphasis on calving ease.

greatgerts":x5skoph4 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":x5skoph4 said:
greatgerts":x5skoph4 said:

12 month old Gert bull.

I like him.

Thank you. I really like this young bull myself. He has not been pushed at all. I'm actually hoping to get him broke soon. The donkey may have her work cut out.

Make sure you take a video of that and share with us!

NonTypicalCPA":3ag5ra0s said:
greatgerts":3ag5ra0s said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3ag5ra0s said:
I like him.

Make sure you take a video of that and share with us!

Not a problem. It is pretty fun to watch.

Latest posts