how many

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
How many strands of electric does it take to keep cows,cow/calf pairs, calves that have been weanning in a corral for a week or two in i was thinking of going with 3 but all these people say they keep theres in with one.. I would electric fence train them... And it is 30 acres or so ( i got on the 4 wheeler and wen t around it and the trip said 1 mile or so...so 1 mile around and its two fields seperated by woods and beyond the fence would be an old loging road taht is a trail now and more woods...

I agree with one if your cattle are trained to power fence and they have been up for a week. HOWEVER, there is a big difference between:

1 strand of 12.5 gauge hi-tensile
1 strand of 6-strand stainless polywire
1 strand of 17ga steel wire
1 strand of 14ga aluminum wire
1 strand of 9-strand turbo polywire

I use a 4-strand hi-tensile(all hot), but I do not keep calves in the corral for over 30 minutes after the cows are gone. Calves are fenceline weaned immediately. So far its been a 100% retention.

If you are unsure use four wires, make sure you have a really good ground connection and it always helps if you can keep a couple of calm cows in with them to show them the ropes. I like to throw in a really calm replacement heifer or cow whose calf is not in the group ,it makes a big difference.
My bull pen is mainly contained by only 2 high tensile hot wires , but all of my animals are hot wire trained as soon as they are born as we use it everywhere, even on page wire or a five strand barb wire fence. I had some really freaky commercials a few years ago, and a 5 foot panel they would jump over but a single strand of electric fence would stop them in their tracks. :?

My bad my computer wuz messin up :oops: :oops: :oops: And i would have one of my calm cows in with them im thinkin 2 or 3 becaus im gonna use step ins an 4 strands on them is a little much cause i think 3 will do