How many

Help Support CattleToday:

dbc

Reaction score
How many head of cattle can i run on 120 acres of land in the tyler, texas area? Tylers near dallas.

This question comes up all the time among beginning cattle people even experienced cattle people have to make an educated guess when first stocking a place. A couple of ideas for finding the your best stocking rate come to mind. First contact your local Gov. Farm service office/soil office/ usda office. Second if you can find the previous renter/owner he might give you some idea. Third ask a neighbor with similiar looking grass how many he stocks and if he fertilizes. After you have gathered this information you can make a educated guess that should work ,good lord willing.
Remeber that many factors go into stocking rate such as weather , type cattle, supplemental feeding, fertilization, cross fencing, type grass, etc .

Good advice from denoginnizer. I have land not far from Tyler; parts of it I can run 1hd/ac., other parts 1hd/3ac. About the only other thing I would add is rotational or intensive grazing strategies, and water source are other factors to consider.

Good Luck!