how many square bales?

Help Support CattleToday:

dane12

Reaction score
about how many square balls to a round bale?

I am getting into a really bind with hay for my cows and horses this year prices around here(I live around springtown tx) is now up to between 55 and 70 dollas a bale.anyone have any hay for sale
i am willing to drive quite a bit if the price is right.

How heavy are the round bales, how heavy are the square bales?

dun

well if i knew that i would not post the ?

i was more thinking the standard roundbale 5x5 dry versa the standard square bale

At 60 lbs per square bale???? That would be 2100 to 2220 lbs per round. Have you thought about feeding cottonseed hulls or gin trash mixed with a lttle corn gluten?

dane12":2th9dncb said:
well if i knew that i would not post the ?

i was more thinking the standard roundbale 5x5 dry versa the standard square bale
'

That was the point. Small squares around here run 45-75 lbs, 5X5 round run 750-1200.

Depends on the type of hay, the baler and the person that's putting it up

dun

Dun's got a point there.

There's a lot of difference in how people bale. Went on vacation in Austin this year, and on the drive over noticed many round bales wrapped with celophane. It's not something that we do, but if it keeps more moisture in, there goes the weight up.

Here, our bermuda round bales 5 by 6 will weigh 1,600 to 1,800 lbs, and the square bales will weigh 50 to 60 lbs. With this scenario, a round bale using the low side would be 32 square bales. Still a "deal" to purchase the round vs the square.

Dane12, i'd recommend you talk to some of the people around you selling hay and compare the cost and weight of each, then make your decision. The cost of the square bale would have to be pretty low, even at $70 per round bale for you to come out ahead if the round bale is heavy.

A lot of consideration has to be given to how the Hay was rolled. I've seen some of the Chain Rollers that looked like they were putting out a heavy roll, but only weighed about a thousand pounds.Like Dun pointed out, it has a lot to do with types of Hay vs. who's operating the roller.

thank you everybody a lot of good stuff

never heard about cottonseed hulls,where do you buy it and how do you feed it how does it compare to regurlar cubes?

Our square bales average about 50 lbs and our 4x5 rounds average about 900-1000 lbs. That's grass hay. @18-20 squares per round if my math is correct.

your local feed coop should have cotton seed hulls.....meal....and whole cotton seed....only thing, I've heard and read that it has an affect on a bulls fertility.

Have been feeding hulls for years never had a problem. Our bulls have always tested good. Had a 6 year old collected last spring at Genex in Baton Rouge, one shot over 300 straws and was told some of the best they had ever collected. So for my two cents worth I guess I will keep feeding hulls.

Latest posts