How Many Remember

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
How many on the board today remember gas rationing you were limited to 10 gallons and you could only buy every other day based on the last number in your license plate. Odd number you could buy on odd days even number, even days.

I also remember sugar being rationed can't remember why though.

I remember my parents talking about it. Also the little green stamps to buy sugar. Was the gas stamps brown ?

I'm sorry to admit that I also remember it.. vaguely. I can remember some folks getting caught switching plates on their cars so they could get more fuel. Seems like it didn't last very long.. maybe one summer?

Oh yeah....stayed home alot more and actually rode with other folks. There was some gouging going on but they got fined when the "shortage" was over.
Resturants actually kept the sugar off the tables unless you asked for it and then you were gived a packet or two. I believe that it was at the time when we were fudeing with Cuba or some other cane growing nation and we had a failed crop or such. 60's I think. DMC

Susie David":1oj3g5k9 said:
Oh yeah....stayed home alot more and actually rode with other folks. There was some gouging going on but they got fined when the "shortage" was over.
Resturants actually kept the sugar off the tables unless you asked for it and then you were gived a packet or two. I believe that it was at the time when we were fudeing with Cuba or some other cane growing nation and we had a failed crop or such. 60's I think. DMC
WWII
I wasn't very old, but still remember rationing. Sugar, gas, shotgun shells were hard to come by ,lot of other stuff I can't remember. People would go wild over a pair of nylon stockings for the lady.

Tires were really hard to get. In fact I have to get a new set now for a vehicle and not real happy about the expense. Guess I should be thankful that i can get them at all.

The gas rationing deal was during the time that nixon had the speed limits reduced to a max of 55. That was when the term "Just dicken along at 55" got started

The most recent gas rationing came along in the mid-seventies.

As far as sugar was concerned it came along during WWII along with rationed tires, gasoline, coffee (they substituted Chicory - which is the reason I don't drink Starbucks), butter and several other commodities. That was about the time Oleomargerine came out. Some of you may remember it was white and the package it came in has a little dot of food coloring that you had to pop and mix into the Oleo to color it like butter.

Earl Thigpen":3stw90k3 said:
Some of you may remember it was white and the package it came in has a little dot of food coloring that you had to pop and mix into the Oleo to color it like butter.

That was my least favorite job.

Earl Thigpen":2qf6rs46 said:

As far as sugar was concerned it came along during WWII along with rationed tires, gasoline, coffee (they substituted Chicory - which is the reason I don't drink Starbucks), butter and several other commodities. That was about the time Oleomargerine came out. Some of you may remember it was white and the package it came in has a little dot of food coloring that you had to pop and mix into the Oleo to color it like butter.

You demonstrate a very good memory. I had forgotten the oleo thing.

Caustic Burno":2vj7htcj said:
Kind of like mellorine, that was bad stuff.
Yea. But when you pored root-beer on it, it was great. Bluebell Mellorine in a square box.
How many remember the B branded on the jaw of bangers at the sale barn?
Or checking your cattle twice a day for screw worms, and putting that "62" tar smear on the navels of newborns?

novatech":2wqehe5i said:
Caustic Burno":2wqehe5i said:
Kind of like mellorine, that was bad stuff.
Yea. But when you pored root-beer on it, it was great. Bluebell Mellorine in a square box.
How many remember the B branded on the jaw of bangers at the sale barn?
Or checking your cattle twice a day for screw worms, and putting that "62" tar smear on the navels of newborns?

I have been to that B branded on the jaw Rodeo and lost my ass.
I had forgot about screw worms and the coke bottle.
Can't remember the name of that old wormer used to come in gallon buckets and you had to shoot it down there throat with a stainless steel syringe. You had more on you than in the cow.
How about branding acid who remembers that?

Earl Thigpen":bvsua26i said:

They also created a sugar shortage in 72. I was hauling sugar beet sugar from Ohio to Philly Penn. and hauling cane sugar back to the Kroger warehouse in Akron Ohio. Soon after the prices came up there were no more shortage.

Cal

Can't remember the name of that old wormer used to come in gallon buckets and you had to shoot it down there throat with a stainless steel syringe. You had more on you than in the cow.
How about branding acid who remembers that?Grass in front of the cow, Bull behind rest is simple
I Believe
TSCRA Member
Caustic Burno
Crusty

Was it phenazine? I have give several gallons of that stuff. Get on your skin would blister. Had arsenic in it.

hillrancher":1fsw59ym said:
How about branding acid who remembers that?Grass in front of the cow, Bull behind rest is simple
I Believe
TSCRA Member
Caustic Burno
Crusty

Was it phenazine? I have give several gallons of that stuff. Get on your skin would blister. Had arsenic in it.

Sounds right but that was forty years ago.

The old wormer that came in the glass gallon jug was phenathysine. It was green and thick and you had to shake the jug up good to mix it. It would burn your skin if you got it on yourself. You would suck it out of the jug with a drench gun, shove it in the cows mouth a shoot it down her throat. It would kill worms and liver flukes.

Fred":16v3rzwi said:
The old wormer that came in the glass gallon jug was phenathysine. It was green and thick and you had to shake the jug up good to mix it. It would burn your skin if you got it on yourself. You would suck it out of the jug with a drench gun, shove it in the cows mouth a shoot it down her throat. It would kill worms and liver flukes.
That's it. We had no head gates, much less a squeeze. Grabbed them by the nose a snubed them up to a post. All the calves got thrown on the ground for ear marking, dehorn and nut cutting. I don't know if I miss the good old days or just miss the fact that I was able and not any more.
I really would like to introduce every kid to this kind of of work. I will never forget the sense of accomplishment when at about 75 lbs. I could throw a 500 lb. calf to the ground.

Latest posts