How Many Remember

Help Support CattleToday:

novatech":1a03qawz said:
Fred":1a03qawz said:
The old wormer that came in the glass gallon jug was phenathysine. It was green and thick and you had to shake the jug up good to mix it. It would burn your skin if you got it on yourself. You would suck it out of the jug with a drench gun, shove it in the cows mouth a shoot it down her throat. It would kill worms and liver flukes.
That's it. We had no head gates, much less a squeeze. Grabbed them by the nose a snubed them up to a post. All the calves got thrown on the ground for ear marking, dehorn and nut cutting. I don't know if I miss the good old days or just miss the fact that I was able and not any more.
I really would like to introduce every kid to this kind of of work. I will never forget the sense of accomplishment when at about 75 lbs. I could throw a 500 lb. calf to the ground.

The only thing good about those good ole days is they are gone. A day working cows then was real work.
I love head gates, pour on wormers and range cubes. I never want to return to when the trailer pulls up every cow turns white eyed, high headed, high tail and heads to the back 40. Worked twice a year if they needed or not.

Caustic; I willing to bet you remember hurricane Carla ( I think) flooding the coast. Rounding up the strays and dragging the drowned cattle to burn piles.

novatech":1d5ul5vu said:
Caustic; I willing to bet you remember hurricane Carla ( I think) flooding the coast. Rounding up the strays and dragging the drowned cattle to burn piles.

Carla was nasty,lot of cattle drowned hung up in fences, thing that is even scary is what I saw then and now after Rita. We have a society of chickens that doesn't know how to function outside the coup. If we ever get another Carla type storm go armed. You had men working to put everything back in working order, not waiting on the government to come feed them.

Caustic Burno":1ac684hp said:
novatech":1ac684hp said:
Fred":1ac684hp said:
The old wormer that came in the glass gallon jug was phenathysine. It was green and thick and you had to shake the jug up good to mix it. It would burn your skin if you got it on yourself. You would suck it out of the jug with a drench gun, shove it in the cows mouth a shoot it down her throat. It would kill worms and liver flukes.
That's it. We had no head gates, much less a squeeze. Grabbed them by the nose a snubed them up to a post. All the calves got thrown on the ground for ear marking, dehorn and nut cutting. I don't know if I miss the good old days or just miss the fact that I was able and not any more.
I really would like to introduce every kid to this kind of of work. I will never forget the sense of accomplishment when at about 75 lbs. I could throw a 500 lb. calf to the ground.

The only thing good about those good ole days is they are gone. A day working cows then was real work.
I love head gates, pour on wormers and range cubes. I never want to return to when the trailer pulls up every cow turns white eyed, high headed, high tail and heads to the back 40. Worked twice a year if they needed or not.

I think the only good thing about the good old day's is the fact I was a young man.

Cal

I remember how high gasoline was in the late seventies when I was 16 and just starting to drive. I was driving Daddy's '77 Ford F-100 and it took $10.00 to fill it up! Gas had shot up to 55 cents a gallon from about 30 cents or so. I was cutting grass in the summers and it took one ten dollar yard to fill up the truck. I also remember that to save money, we'd put recaps on the truck instead of new tires.

J. T.":1zqixuns said:
I remember how high gasoline was in the late seventies when I was 16 and just starting to drive. I was driving Daddy's '77 Ford F-100 and it took $10.00 to fill it up! Gas had shot up to 55 cents a gallon from about 30 cents or so. I was cutting grass in the summers and it took one ten dollar yard to fill up the truck. I also remember that to save money, we'd put recaps on the truck instead of new tires.

I recall when it jumped to 26 cents a gallon andpoeple were wondering when the high prices would ever stop.
The years past in some ways were more to my liking. But the old saying, "The good old days are now" pretty well sums it up. We just don;t think that we have so much more stuff to btch about now then we did in the 50s.

dun":1idzmjrs said:
J. T.":1idzmjrs said:

I recall when it jumped to 26 cents a gallon andpoeple were wondering when the high prices would ever stop.
The years past in some ways were more to my liking. But the old saying, "The good old days are now" pretty well sums it up. We just don;t think that we have so much more stuff to btch about now then we did in the 50s.

The first arab oil embargo, in the '70's, was a bizarre time. The solution was to share the pain with rationing. Not real rationing, but the old Soviet system, where you stand in line for everything.
A lot of folks went from running on fumes all the time to keeping the tank topped off. I never spent much time waiting on gas, as the country remained a little more calm than the cities. But the US shure waisted a lot of time in gas lines back then.
It was during that time that a genius local service station guy told me that gasoline was not short because the stuff just rains back down after it is burned. Really. I didn't say anything. But he wasn't filling my car from a puddle. BTW, it was a 65 Mustang with a 289 4-bbl and a 4 speed. Wish I had THAT one back. Lucky I survived.

I dunno, I guess it depends on what you value most. I know many are glad those days are gone. They only seem to remember the hard times and backbreaking work. I remember those things too, and I can't honestly say I miss them. But what I do remember and cherish are the times of neighbor helping neighbor, family picnics and reunions, nights spent by the fire, joking, telling ghost stories and other lies, the free movie in town on Saturday night, small town fairs where you met friends and relatives and shared happenings since the last time you had talked. Ya, I do remember and miss the old days.

john250":2ulrbzk8 said:
dun":2ulrbzk8 said:
J. T.":2ulrbzk8 said:

The first arab oil embargo, in the '70's, was a bizarre time. The solution was to share the pain with rationing. Not real rationing, but the old Soviet system, where you stand in line for everything.
A lot of folks went from running on fumes all the time to keeping the tank topped off. I never spent much time waiting on gas, as the country remained a little more calm than the cities. But the US shure waisted a lot of time in gas lines back then.
It was during that time that a genius local service station guy told me that gasoline was not short because the stuff just rains back down after it is burned. Really. I didn't say anything. But he wasn't filling my car from a puddle. BTW, it was a 65 Mustang with a 289 4-bbl and a 4 speed. Wish I had THAT one back. Lucky I survived.

Today the Arabs dominate only 40 percent of the world market as opposed to the 70 percent they held in 1973. This means that the world is a lot less vulnerable than it once was to the short-term effects of the oil weapon. Without oil revenue the OPEC nations return to riding camels and living in tents.

TexasBred":4ab9xo0a said:
Without oil revenue the OPEC nations return to riding camels and living in tents.

Some folks in the rest of the world my be doing that before long.

Fred":38lk5tbt said:

Well thank you very much Fred. I have been thinking about this since I saw Caustic couldn't remember the name either. I was burning a hole in my tiny little brain.

You are right it would burn you. I remember cows coughing it up on my face a few minutes later it felt like I had fire ants on it. I used to have more on me than in the cows I think. I will still use Valbazen drench every now and then just to rotate.

I remember the smell yet today of some kind of stuff you mixed with water and sprayed the barn and livestock with that my Dad used.I think it was called Stock Dip. Not sure if that was the proper name but still sure of the smell.

Cal

Calman":1mc06ogf said:
I remember the smell yet today of some kind of stuff you mixed with water and sprayed the barn and livestock with that my Dad used.I think it was called Stock Dip. Not sure if that was the proper name but still sure of the smell.

Cal

Yeah and about once a week or two you'd pick the family dog up and drop him into the barrel and let him swim a minute. Great for fleas and ticks. :lol2: :lol2:

never2old2learn-ron":39vm7e47 said:
I dunno, I guess it depends on what you value most. I know many are glad those days are gone. They only seem to remember the hard times and backbreaking work. I remember those things too, and I can't honestly say I miss them. But what I do remember and cherish are the times of neighbor helping neighbor, family picnics and reunions, nights spent by the fire, joking, telling ghost stories and other lies, the free movie in town on Saturday night, small town fairs where you met friends and relatives and shared happenings since the last time you had talked. Ya, I do remember and miss the old days.

Agreed.

Latest posts