how many pounds would weaners eat?

Help Support CattleToday:

jilleroo

Reaction score
I'm hoping you fellas can give me some opinions.....we have about 200 mixed sex charolais weaners in a southern feedlot on a maintenance ration. The weaners weighed about 385lbs when they went in - much smaller than we usually wean them due to our drought conditions. After a month there, the lot says they're eating about 22lbs of ration a day each. I just can't find the composition of the ration at the moment and have forgotten it exactly - but it is mainly silage with some barley and cottonseed.

We find it hard to believe the weaners are eating that much at that size. What do readers think? Hubby went and had a look at the weaners and didnt think they'd changed much since induction into the lot. They are supposed to gain about 2lbs a day on the ration.

They should eat about 2.5% of bodyweight/day in dry matter. That being said, the silage is more water than dry matter. Most silage is only about 35% dry matter, so the exact ingredient mix and moisture has a big influence on their consumption levels.

I work it out to about 5% of bodyweight if they gained their 2lb/day since induction and are now 445lb.
At that size I would expect a bit more than the 2lb/day on 5%.
I must admit I don't know much about silage Jilleroo.

Thanks Ken. Hubby just said that what they called "silage" is just barley straw. So they get 70% straw, 20% CS and 10% barley.
They don't looked to have gained any weight since they've been there but havent been officially weighed to back that up.
The feedlot folk said they expected them to gain 2lb a day. The weaners were thoroughly accustomed to feeding from troughs and were quiet so there wouldnt have been any issues like that with them.

jilleroo":3lf9uoxr said:
Thanks Ken. Hubby just said that what they called "silage" is just barley straw. So they get 70% straw, 20% CS and 10% barley.
They don't looked to have gained any weight since they've been there but havent been officially weighed to back that up.
The feedlot folk said they expected them to gain 2lb a day. The weaners were thoroughly accustomed to feeding from troughs and were quiet so there wouldnt have been any issues like that with them.

Based on the above and making some assumptions about the moisture % of the silage, the ration calculator says steers would gain about 1.9#/day and heifers about 1.5#/day. Cottonseed is an extremely nutrient dense product. Lots of protein and energy and the barley grain is high energy also. If you don't think they have gained, ask them to run calves across the scales and find out. If you are paying the feed bill they should be willing to grant your request.

Thanks for the replies. The weaners are in a little paddock about three miles from the scales so they can't weigh them easily - that would be the ideal scenario - weigh them and see how they're going. Will talk to them.

The straw may not have much nutritive value and is mostly roughage. Agree with TexasBred. They are getting more bulk than groceries.

Latest posts