how many pounds to feed

Help Support CattleToday:

coalminer82

Reaction score
I am feeding a corn, oats, and 36% custom blend dry feed. I am new to caring for cattle for myself and wanted to see how many pounds per day per calf I should be giving.

coalminer82":1099kr3k said:
I am feeding a corn, oats, and 36% custom blend dry feed. I am new to caring for cattle for myself and wanted to see how many pounds per day per calf I should be giving.

Hopefully you're mixing the corn and oats with the 36% pellet or whatever it is to reduce the protein down considerably. Need more info about the calves...type, age, size, your goal??

They are angus, about 650# right now, and looking to make good meat in a timely fashion but would really like for 50# to last 2 head atleast 5 days. I am new cattle other than working for others that have had them. They also have a round bale at their disposal. Thank you for any input and or advice

coalminer82":2q6h4h33 said:
They are angus, about 650# right now, and looking to make good meat in a timely fashion but would really like for 50# to last 2 head atleast 5 days. I am new cattle other than working for others that have had them. They also have a round bale at their disposal. Thank you for any input and or advice
That would work out to 5 lbs. of the mixture per head per day. I'd probably delete the oats and replace them with corn and lower my cost.

50 lbs. for 2 head for 5 days is about 5 lbs a day for a 650 lb calf. That is just under 1% of body weight and is about a maintenance ration. To grow and gain weight you need to feed 2.25% to 2.5% of body weight. At 2.5% of bodyweight, one calf would eat just over 16 lbs of feed a day plus hay.

Latest posts